Kalkwasser vs Carbonate and Calcium Liquid Supplements?

OHreefer

Are there any advantages to using Kalkwasser versus using products like liquid carbonate and liquid calcium supplements? I'm thinking of switching to Kalkwasser and wanted to get opinions before doing so. I know I'd have to buy a dosing tank for the Kalkwasser.

seafansar

I was always afraid to use kalk. I buy the dry two part from bulkreefsupply.com and mix it up myself. It's a lot cheaper than buying the pre-mixed liquid stuff. I hate paying so much extra just for water.

OHreefer

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of using dry alk and calcium additives! I don't even think I've seen them...I will certainly buy that from now on. SO much cheaper! Thanks again.

Paragon

As it happens I've been pondering this myself lately, and by fortunate chance I got the opportunity to speak with the LFS owner for the first time last night. This was my topic of choice.

The takeaway for me was Kalk is likely advantageous in pricing, as well as its ability to combine the effects usually found by dosing multiple forms of chemical supplementation.

Kalkwasser dosing is a process that has been used for a long time within the reefing community, and when you read the notes of experienced writers and aquarium veterans (e.g. Julian Spring), many are a proponent of this approach.

The downside is the need for careful setup and monitoring when you do the process, especially when you are first learning to do so. I feel confident over multiple attempts and years of using this method it becomes extremely effective and safe, however, for someone like myself who will attempt it for the first time you need to make sure you're well informed and that you setup the process correctly. Much of this challenge can be eliminated with newer methods of dosing.

I hope that helps,
Para