kalk reactor timers?

jks1

For those who have kalk reactors what type of timers do you use to aggitate the mix? Ive seen plenty that you can control by the hour but need something a little more flexible. Also how often do you aggitate and for how long?

Pro_builder

I use a timer that turns on and off by pulling out the buttons. The shortest time it can be on is 1/2 hour, then I mix mine every 4 hours. But, I drip mine 24/7.

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
At home depot they have the "intermatic digital Timer" runs approximately $20

You can program 14 on and off events over 7 days. You can also set it to random. The good thing is that you can set them to turn on and off for as little as one minute at a time.

Kalk reactors do not need much mixing. Figure mix about 2 minutes for every gallon you dose into your system. Thus if your dosing 10 gallons per day, you want to mix 2 minutes at a time 10 times per day.

While you can run them longer. The longer you run them the more you have to worry about wear on impellars or the wear plate on the mag stir variety.

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
noticed today they have a comparable timer at walmart for $14.95 in the lighting section good for 1850 watts!

dgasmd

Originally posted by StoneyReef
At home depot they have the "intermatic digital Timer" runs approximately $20

You can program 14 on and off events over 7 days. You can also set it to random. The good thing is that you can set them to turn on and off for as little as one minute at a time.

Kalk reactors do not need much mixing. Figure mix about 2 minutes for every gallon you dose into your system. Thus if your dosing 10 gallons per day, you want to mix 2 minutes at a time 10 times per day.

While you can run them longer. The longer you run them the more you have to worry about wear on impellars or the wear plate on the mag stir variety.

Yup, that is the same I use. I have it set up so it goes off 14 times per day and it stirs for 15-20 min each time. I evaporate close to 10gpd and dose kalk 24/7 with a litermeter pump. Works great. These timers are awesome. The only problem with them is that you can't use them with the blueline electronic ballasts because they have electronic interference and it messes them up. That is what I originally got them for. :confused:

mwrager

After reading everyones timer setting, I guess I will change mine. I was only mixing once per day for about 10 min at midnight.