Justin’s 28 gallon JBJ LED Nano Cube

benray4fun

Nice!... Funny I'm going through the same thing with down sizing from a 90 to a 28g jbj due to lil ones. I don't have the time, money or the will to be climbing all over my 90 anymore, but still want the beauty. I'm curious as to how you're adjusting to the over all change so far?... I wanna hear it from you cuz I'm going down the exact same path n you're already there...lol :smoking:

corrado007

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the complements!

Nice!... Funny I'm going through the same thing with down sizing from a 90 to a 28g jbj due to lil ones. I don't have the time, money or the will to be climbing all over my 90 anymore, but still want the beauty. I'm curious as to how you're adjusting to the over all change so far?... I wanna hear it from you cuz I'm going down the exact same path n you're already there...lol :smoking:

benray4fun, welcome to RS! You should take a second to go over to the meet & greet forum and say hello to everyone.
It is funny that we're going through the exact same thing with a downsize from 90s to Nanos with babies on the way.
I'm adjusting to the change really well. My 90 is still sitting in my living room running but is almost totally empty; I've been selling all of the corals out of it over the past few weeks and took a bunch of the LR and LS and livestock for my new cube and my wife's Bio Cube. It's kind of sad to see the 90 so empty with only a few corals at the bottom now but when I look at the Nano it's worth it. Since I'll be coming out quite a bit ahead selling the 90 and all of it's coral colonies I've decided to put that money back into the Nano so it's kind of cool to have a nice budget for the nano.
Anyway, how far are you in the process? Have you sold your 90 yet? Do you have your Nano yet? Perhaps you'd consider starting a chronicle of your progress here, I'd love to see what you end up doing with yours. Are you getting the HQI, LED, or CF quad?

benray4fun

Anyway, how far are you in the process? Have you sold your 90 yet? Do you have your Nano yet? Perhaps you'd consider starting a chronicle of your progress here, I'd love to see what you end up doing with yours. Are you getting the HQI, LED, or CF quad?

My 90 is for sale now and I just bought my jbj today (tank only) from a local reefer. I still need to get the stand and hood which is gonna be the LED's. I see your set up and it made me laugh cuz it was almost the same set up...ha, ha I bet you prolly ran halides huh?... I did, but I wanna be smarter about it this time around and dramatically reduce electricity use/bill.

I will take pics as I go along and post'm so we can chuckle and appreciate at the same time.

corrado007

I will take pics as I go along and post'm so we can chuckle and appreciate at the same time.
Sounds good man, looking forward to checking out your nano & yeah, I ran halides on the 90 like you but I'm loving the nice cool LEDs on my nano.

garetjax65 said:
Great looking tank bro. Love the landscaping.
Thanks man!

corrado007

I've read that they're supposed to be comparable to the 150W HQI so yes, I would think so. I have bird's nest, a cup coral, and some monti cap in mine now though they are easier than a lot of sps to keep. I haven't really found many people that have the LED Nanos to see what success they've had. Also, most who do have the LED Nano haven't had it for too long. It's only been out for a little over a year. Check out Seafansar's LED thread too, she has some sps and has had her's up and running for a while. As a matter of fact, I think she may have 2 LED Nanos if I recall correctly.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/63628-seafansars-28-gallon-jbj-led-nano.html

benray4fun

Thanks for the link, she does have some sps n so do you. I guess I'd like to see an sps dominated tank to see if the LED's can support them, I think they can, just like to see it.

corrado007

Glad you started that thread, maybe we'll be able to get some more people w/ these LED tanks to let us know how their corals are growing under these things. Great that they are so cool running and efficient but seems like we're kinda guinea pigs when it comes to whether or not they'll support corals with high PAR needs. I haven't been able to find any PAR comparisons between the LEDs and Halides yet either. Thanks for the link benray.

corrado007

Thanks! I'm working on the mod for my Tunze 9002 now and in the planning and parts ordering stage of my ATO. I'll post picts of both once I've got a little more to show.

corrado007

Skimmer Update

I'll finally be putting my Tunze 9002 skimmer in my Nano Cube tomorrow. I got it weeks ago but had to remove the magnet and order the StevieT narrow skimmer cup to get it to fit in my Cube. Since I had to wait for the StevieT skimmer cup, I decided to break in the skimmer in the sump of my 90gallon tank that I'm breaking down. This little skimmer is a monster, it silently sucks all sorts of junk out of the tank fairly quickly.

Here's a shot of the stock skimmer cup with a few days of skimmate. I did do the YouTube external air valve mod by the way which is awesome and greatly improved adjustability.

938c62d9.jpg

I also took a few shots of the magnet removal in case it helps anyone else who's considering getting this skimmer but unsure about removing it to get it to fit in their Nano.

I used a dremel tool to cut around it being careful not to cut the body of the skimmer but rather the edge of the magnet casing.

490747a0.jpg

I then used a screw driver to gently pry between the magnet and the body in order to break the glue between the two. It fairly easily and very cleanly separated the magnet from the body as I worked my way around the magnet.

19a8d29a.jpg

And finally the finished product, the magnet separated from the body. The body of the skimmer wasn't damaged at all and all of the glue came right off with the magnet. This took about 15 minutes total as I was going slowly in order not to damage the skimmer.

56a360e5.jpg

And here's the StevieT skinny cup that came in the mail. I currently have it on the skimmer in the 90gallon's sump breaking in and will put the skimmer and new cup in the 28 tomorrow.

fe9c4d9b.jpg

bluecoyote79

Thanks for the pictures of the magnet removal. I've been searching all day to find information on how to get rid of mine. Since I don't have a Dremel, I'm hoping a hack saw blade will be effective.