Just upgraded my lights!

Flipper

Sturgeon General
I recieved my Smart-Lite retrofit kit from Premium Aquatics this morning and just got it installed over my 7 mini-bow! What a difference the 32 watts makes after having a 14 in there! I still have to get used to the color of the light (it's a lot bluer, with the bulb being actinic/10,000k), but the shrooms, zoos and buttons look great! There's colors on some of them I haven't even seen before. That was Christmas money well spent!!! :D

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Pix will be on the way soon! It'll be time to rearrange the tank again soon, since most of my corals have been residing near the top.

SZHTTM

Nice!! It bet it looks awesome now!!!

By the way, did you adjust the amount of time the lights are on now after the new retrofit? I'm just wondering if it might be a good idea to lower the amount of time the lights are on to about half and then slowly increase the time over a number of weeks to allow the inhabitants time to adjust to the more powerful lights...

What do you think?

Good Luck;
:thumbup:

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Originally posted by mwrager
Flipper, if you can post a before pic and an after pic, so people can see the improvemnt.

I believe my current setup (before the light upgrade) is in my photo gallery.

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Originally posted by SZHTTM
By the way, did you adjust the amount of time the lights are on now after the new retrofit? I'm just wondering if it might be a good idea to lower the amount of time the lights are on to about half and then slowly increase the time over a number of weeks to allow the inhabitants time to adjust to the more powerful lights...

What do you think?

I've considered it. Since the new ballast has a three prong cord, I had to take the lights off the timer until I pick up an adapter (my timer is two prong). So the next few days I can cut back the photo period manually.

SZHTTM

Originally posted by Flipper
Since the new ballast has a three prong cord, I had to take the lights off the timer until I pick up an adapter (my timer is two prong).

I highly suggest that you get a new timer that has three prongs instead of the adapter!! That grounding probe (third prong) could prevent you or someone else from getting an electrical shock.

Good luck;
:thumbup:

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree on getting a new timer that has a ground on it,the ground in a electrical circuit is there for a reason an adapter will eliminate the ground.not good where water and electricity are concerned.better to be safe then sorry.