Just repalced 14k to a 20k

I love how all the corals are now ''glowing'' more. Especially all the greens, blues, and oranges. However, I can tell a big difference in brightness. The 14k bulb literally lit the whole bedroom up. My question is, since both bulbs are 250w, are they both putting out the same amount of light for my corals even though the 20k doesn't appear to be as bright as the 14k was?

XBwlr

No.
It has to do with PAR. The higher kelvin, the lower the PAR value.

I don't remember what PAR stands for, but it has to do with the amount of light the corals use.

You should really use a quantum meter when doing such a switch, you would not belive how much LESS light your corals are receiving (with those 20k bulbs)...I was blown away by the difference between a 14 and 20k....(we're talking about 100 microeinsteins difference in some cases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).(IMO/IME....with my quantum meter)

I would borrow a meter from somewhere if you don't have one ,and consider lowering your lights,(if that is physicaly possible)-Dave

My 14k bublb was less than three months old. You guys have got me scared now. I'm worried I might need to put it back in.

What do you guys think? Should I put the 14k back in or what? By the way, the light is an Icecap 250w pendant and the bulb is a double ended hqi. I have this light on a 29 gallon. I also put a tridacnea clam in this past Saturday. It may like the 14k better. Let me know guys. I didn't know any better:(

XBwlr

29 gallon... what is that? 20" tall?

If so, then you should be alright. When you said 250w I was thinking a bigger / taller tank.

Mam I'm depressed now. Even at wholesale, that was an expensive bulb. It's a Blue Life SPS 250w 20k. And as sad as I am to say it, I believe I like the looks of the 14k better. The water just looked so much cleaner and clearer with that 14k. I'm thinking about changing it back. Retail price on the bulb is $64. If I decide to take it out, anyone wanna do any trading on some frags?