Just out of curiousity ghetto lighting

Mperkins92

I was cleaning out my house today and we tossed out an old tanning bed. When i took it apart and was carrying it i realized it looked like a supersize version of my T5 fixture. Its 6 foot with 10 large bulb. Anyone think it could be suspended over a tank and used as lighting?

Willie McDaries

I was cleaning out my house today and we tossed out an old tanning bed. When i took it apart and was carrying it i realized it looked like a supersize version of my T5 fixture. Its 6 foot with 10 large bulb. Anyone think it could be suspended over a tank and used as lighting?

LOL could work with the correct bulbs,what kind of bulbs does it use...VHO maybe ?

Mperkins92

I cant remember what they were. they were old and probably 3x thicker than my T5s. just thinkin those bulbs are designed to mimic the sun somewhat.... also was wondering if it makes people look orange what would it do to my tank.

DaveK

It would depend upon the bulbs and ballasts being used. Your going to want to replace the bulbs with ones more suitable for a reef system.

Also consider the type of ballasts in use. You could run into a case where the older ballasts would consume a lot more power, to the point were a modern fixture would be much less expensive to run.

This is one of those areas where you check things out up front, and figure the cost to convert it, and cost to run it. Then if it favorable, ude it and save the money.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'd certainly enjoy seeing u suspend a Tanner over the tank. Get a tank big enough n an air mattress to float too

Matt leaves out punctuation.

Built347

i love this idea.. researching as we speak... if it takes t12 vho's your in like flynt..

Mperkins92

it is an alisun brand type sq 2000. and i wish i could get a big enough tank. i dont understand the air matress tho.

Built347

Ok that def helps.. looks like a lot of them used VHOs .. do you have access to a bulb you could read some info off of?

Built347

Ok tomorrow call this # its a tanning bed supply company 866-944-4490 ask them what type bulbs yours takes. get the wattage and type.. i cant find any specifics on that model bed.. VHO is def a popular bulb for tanning beds though after reading about them..

I do agree with a previous statement tho .. vho's are expensive to buy and expensive to run probably second only to MH... if you dont consider the fact that the fixture was free there are A LOT better options for lights.. for the long term..

Mperkins92

yea my tank is only 4' lon anyway so it would look pretty ridiculous. i'm not sure if those are designed to run for long periods of time either

Willie McDaries

Ok tomorrow call this # its a tanning bed supply company 866-944-4490 ask them what type bulbs yours takes. get the wattage and type.. i cant find any specifics on that model bed.. VHO is def a popular bulb for tanning beds though after reading about them..

I do agree with a previous statement tho .. vho's are expensive to buy and expensive to run probably second only to MH... if you dont consider the fact that the fixture was free there are A LOT better options for lights.. for the long term..

VHOs make awesome antinic supplemental bulbs too,very bright,but I'd hate to have to replace bulbs in a 10 bulb fixture.....still,it would be an extremely hi-output fixture :D

Mperkins92

I just called them I should be getting a voicemail back soon. I may need to buy a 6' tank if the price is right lol