just how big can a BTA get in an aquarium?

reefer gladness

I know most sources say a 12 inch diameter disc is the max size. Curious if anyone has a BTA that has grown much larger than that? My RBTA has reached a good 12 inches or more at this point and I'm hoping it doesn't split. I feed about 1/2 a silverside per week. Any less than that I can see the tentacles start to shrink.

Please excuse the dirty glass, I've been letting it go because my snails are breeding like crazy.

DSCN0807.jpg

PS - you can barely see where the foot is attached a good 8-10 inches below the mouth.

DaveK

Well, I once had one fill about 2/3 of a 90 gal tank when fully expanded, but that is exceptional.

reefer gladness

Thanks, that's encouraging. I'm thinking about keeping the 56g as a dedicated tank for nems and percs I have after I upgrade again. It's just about doubled in size over the last year and had me scrambling to move corals a few times. I'm hoping it doesn't split for at least another year or two, I'd really like to see one get that big.

PIMPALA

I have had a couple that were easily 20-24" diameter, and had "stalks" that wrapped around rocks and stretched out over 24" easily. Their size doesnt determine them splitting or not. Ive seen some live for years without splitting, and ive seen some split once a month, and some kick out little babies 10 at a time on a regular basis. you never know with nems.