Just Got a New Wave Maker

Corvus

Guys,

I just got a new wave maker (Jebao WP 25) and have a question before I place it in my 40 breeder.

I currently have two Hydor water movement pumps in my tank--both on the back, one on the lower left glass, the other on the upper right glass.

When I install the wave maker (I will be installing it on the left side glass), will I still need the two Hydor water pumps? I'm thinking I might not as the wave maker should be more than enough for proper water movement/wave action.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

C.

reefer gladness

Every tank is different depending on the placement of rocks, feeding habits, etc.

I remember adding a Vortech MP-10 on one side of an RSM 130D (34g) tank and being amazed at the cloud of detritus that got stirred up. Surely the tank was now getting good circulation all around right? Not so much as it turned out. I added a second MP-10 a few weeks later on the opposite side and the cloud of detritus was nearly as bad as when I added the first MP-10.

You see a lot of tanks with 2 and appears to have detriment to fish or coral.

I have a new set up and 1 but will be looking to add another. Researching to find one that is quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

StirCrayzy

I had a single wp25 on my 65g (same general dimensions as 40b) to start with and a one direction flow caused a lot of sand pits and piles. I didn't get great action on the corals til I added the second to oppose the first. There's a lot of value in the turbulence created by intersecting flow.

Ratpack

I agree with the above posts. I had tried just one MP-40 on my 75 and it has a very open aquascape and never could get get flow everywhere. So I traded it for two WP-40's and the difference is night and day. All the corals get good flow and the rocks are a lot cleaner now. Had some turf algae growing on some of them because the one MP-40 didn't keep them clean on the opposite side of the tank. That is also clearing up now.

Corvus

From the videos I've seen on line, it look like the WP-25 will put out PLENTY of wave motion/water movement for a 40 breeder. I've seen a nice "back and forth" movement in the videos.

But I'm still wondering if I should use one or both of the Hydor pumps I currently have in the tank, too.

C.

reefer gladness

At the end of the day I'd ditch the Hydor pumps and add a second WP-25 on the other side.

Consider what happens when an easternly breeze hits a rectangular building. The east side of the building gets the most amount wind while the opposite side receives far less. An aquarium is a boxed environment so the 'wind' is bouncing off the opposite side of the aquarium but the velocity is greatly reduced and the amount of flow on that side of the tank is definitely less than the side where your single WP25 is located.

Below is an excerpt from an AA article reviewing the MP-10 which explains the concept of the boundary layer that many of us don't consider or aren't even aware of.

Boundary Layer

All benthic surfaces are surrounded by a layer of stagnant water called the Boundary Layer. This layer varies in thickness and is inversely proportional to water speed (that is, the layer decreases in thickness as water motion increases and vice versa). If the Boundary Layer becomes too thick, diffusion of oxygen, carbon dioxide, 'trace elements', etc. becomes an issue. If the water speed is sufficient, 'Mass Transfer' occurs and the sessile invertebrate obtains necessary nutriment from the water column.

Photosynthesis and water motion have been linked, and poor water motion can result in lessened rates of photosynthesis (presumably through weakened diffusion rates of inorganic carbon (CO2, alkalinity), 'trace elements', and so on.

Corvus

Great info, RG. Thank you! I will go with the one WP-25 for now and get a second one soon. I am leaning toward removing at least one of the Hydor pumps (the small one, as the WP-25 will be on that side of the tank anyway) right now.

C.

Creekview

You might consider a wp10 instead of a second 25. I found running two wp25's in my 55 way too much, even on the lowest settings.

Corvus

I figured what the heck--I just got on the Reef Breeders website and ordered a Jebao dual controller and two WP-10s (one of which I'll keep a a spare).

Things should be "active" with a WP-25 and a WP-10 doing their things....

C.

Ratpack

Just curious if there is any reason you ordered from Reefbreeders? The reason I ask is that Fish-Street has that same set up for $60 less than reefbreeders.

Corvus

Just curious if there is any reason you ordered from Reefbreeders? The reason I ask is that Fish-Street has that same set up for $60 less than reefbreeders.

I did not know that at the time! I win the "dumb-a@@" award for the week!

C.

Corvus

That dual pump controller is on my wish list!
Keep us posted on how you like it.

I will give a full report, SC!

I have been busy and have not yet been able to put my new WP-25 in my tank, but I will be doing so this afternoon!

C.

PS I also have the Red Sea salt mix arriving today so I can start doing water changes with a salt that will up my Mg levels....

Corvus

Holy Geez! Holy sPit! Good golly, Batman!

Yes, I hooked up my WP-25 and all I can say is...WOW! For those of you familiar with how the Jebaos work, I have it set on W1 and S1, with the wave duration dial set at minimum (full left). What an incredible wave maker. When I first turned it on you should have seen all the crapola it kicked up from my live rock. In about 30 seconds, my scoly, favia, candy cane, and lobo all put out their tentacles figuring that with all the action in the water it must be feeding time. My hammer and green star are both dancing rather briskly to the beat of the waves. There is a really nice back and forth wave in my tank right now.

To say I'm impressed so far would be an understatement. And to think that I have two Jebao WP-10s and a dual controller on their way to me now as we speak. I'm so happy I might go inside and kiss my acro (which should benefit from the nice strong wave action, no?)....

It's when we take steps like this that the hobby takes on new meaning for us, but I know you "veterans" out there know what I mean.

Hell, if I could fit in my 40 breeder, I'd take a bath in the tank (at 6'4", 220 pounds I'd better not try, though).

C.