Just Curious

Hi

I am down cape cod (MA) and my daughter has been digging up (sand crabs?) (picture below)

I have seen what looks like this same exact species of sand crab being sold on the Internet. They said they are reef safe, burrow in the sand and are filter feeders.

Here is the question (and if it is a dumb one please don't be shy!). Do you think it may be the same species that are found in Florida? I know that the water is much colder here, but they live in the tide line and are use to extreme temp changes. I was thinking it is possible.?.? The next question is if it is, does anyone have any experience with these crabs? My daughter has asked if they would live in our tank and my knee jerk answer was no, but maybe they could. That is not to say I will try it, but I am very curious.

41601e01-1374-903a.jpg

lbiminiblue

Hi

I am down cape cod (MA) and my daughter has been digging up (sand crabs?) (picture below)

I have seen what looks like this same exact species of sand crab being sold on the Internet. They said they are reef safe, burrow in the sand and are filter feeders.

Here is the question (and if it is a dumb one please don't be shy!). Do you think it may be the same species that are found in Florida? I know that the water is much colder here, but they live in the tide line and are use to extreme temp changes. I was thinking it is possible.?.? The next question is if it is, does anyone have any experience with these crabs? My daughter has asked if they would live in our tank and my knee jerk answer was no, but maybe they could. That is not to say I will try it, but I am very curious.

41601e01-1374-903a.jpg
Sand fleas make-great bait, go for it i doubt that they'd harm anything. and yes i've seen them here and around naples. maybe not the same species. they spend all their time in the sand, and i'm sure they aerate and turn over the sand well. Go for it.

SubRosa

Probably a short term resident in a tank kept constantly at tropical temps. Don't put a live one into any tank you wouldn't put a dead one in, because when it dies you probably won't find it.

lcstorc

I wouldn't risk it but I sent a note to John at ReefCleaners. He will likely know something about it.

johnmaloney

Sand fleas are safe. They are filter feeders, like porcelain crabs in some ways except the burrow instead of cling to rock for protection. They tend to be short lived and tend to die under the surface of the sand in an aquarium at some point where cleaning may not occur for awhile so I wouldn't really call them a cleaner, but harmless. Common on most shores, they tend to have wide ranges and can handle tropical and temperate aquariums. They live in the surge zone, and filter the incoming waves usually, a current close to the substrate will help them be more active. Those birds you see running in and out of the waves along the shore are feeding on these guys usually, you can find them by following the birds. Most bait stores geared towards saltwater fishing sell them as well.