Juice's 25 Gallon Reef

jgking21

Some of you have seen my 54 Gallon Build, so I thought I start a Thread on my old tank. I started with a 20 Gallon Tall and moved to a 25 Gallon. Here are a bunch of pics through the years. It was started in 2005 (May or June) and I only wish I kept track from day 1.

12-06-05
000_0082.jpg

6-2-06 (after move to NC, removed sand for move)
Tank-June22006.jpg

11-29-06
Tank11-29-06.jpg

7-18-07
7-18-07.jpg

1-11-08 (after electricution, picture is labeled Utter Disgrace)
UtterDisgrace1-11-08.jpg

May '08, I moved the Tank back to FL and don't have any pics.

5-13-09 (After 2nd move back to NC)
25Gallon5-13-09.jpg

Some rock was incorporated into the new tank and some stuff was taken to the store for new products.

7-15-07 (My Favorite Piece at it's Prime)
CupCoral7-15-07.jpg

I was fragging this like once a month!

Hope you enjoyed!

jgking21

Thanks! It was amazing to see the changes over the years, I've never really looked back at the pictures. Also, shocked to figure out that it is almost 4 years old, doesn't seem like that long ago.

wm23oh

1-11-08 (after electricution, picture is labeled Utter Disgrace)

You were electricuted? Fish and everything in tank was? I'm new here and was hopping for a little more info so I can watch for whatever happened to you.

James

jgking21

James, the rubber around the wiring to a powerhead wore away so electricity was leaking into the tank. I woke up one morning and everything was dieing, so when I put my hand in the tank to move something, I got a nice little shock. I did a water change and when the water got below the powerhead I noticed it smoking. I would say it is a rare occurance. I think some people put some type of grounding probe to keep this from happening. I don't have anything like that, I just always check the wiring when doing water changes and cleaning the tank. The powerhead was a Rio 90, now I have Koralia's. Hope that helps!

about the electrocution.....

my house has a bad ground somewhere, a bunch of outlets cause you to get shocked if you touch metal or in my case, water.

Its only if my lights are on. or the screws on my outlets or lightswitches.

but the nice thing is. my tank will be okay, because its a ground issue, if the fish actually touch the ground and the water, then they might get fried, but since they cant.... lol...

or am i completley wrong?

wm23oh

Thanks for the info. I did forget to mention that the tanks looked nice and it did. I'm sorry for your loss.

James

jgking21

Thanks James, the 25 came back nicely! My brother had many of the same corals, so I just fragged from him. I'm currently turning it into a QT tank for my 54, so for now on to bigger and better hopefully!

burntricer, water is a great conductor of electricity. I don't really know about your situation, but it sounds correct. You may want to do more research to double check, hate for you to be cooking your fish!

jgking21

Well without knowing really what to do with this, I decided to start fragging. I'm taking down the 25 so that I can devote time and money to the new 54. I didn't want the algea in the new tank so I started cutting. I'll give them to anyone locally in Charlotte, just PM and we can meet somewhere. I would love to trade for some SPS or maybe some zoa frags, but I also want them to go to good homes!

ricordea.jpg

RicordeaFrags.jpg

jgking21

PM's sent to you guys.

The rock had a bunch of algea and bubble algea on it, so I didn't think it was really that good.

Alemley0529

I love the pictures of your 25 gal tank... Can you give me an idea whats in it im fixing to start up a 29 gal and i think that i want it to look kinda like yours.......
:flower:

jgking21

Alemley, my best luck has been with ricordea, candy cane and the montipora. I think I've been really lucky to keep the brains alive, they were hitchhikers on the rock and have been in the tank since almost the beginning. I have a Coralife 2 x 65 watt PC Light, Bio-wheel filter and a Prizm Protien Skimmer. For better results I would look into higher end filtration and maybe T5 Lighting. I have had this set up for about 5 years and it just works. My brother has a 29 with the same basic set up as mine and looks just as good. Good Luck with yours!

brikeibur

Very nice looking...sad to know it is going to be a QT tank....

Oh well, it is for the best though, I know ur 55g will appreciate it!