JBJ Nanocube light upgrade, opinions please

r2d2

Hi all, Im thinking to upgrade my JBJ28NC lighting. Right now it has PC 105W stock light. I have two options:

1.- LED retrofit. More PAR than stock light, less heat, still closed hood that may lead to heat problems, low evaporation, long bulb life...

2.- JBJ K-2 Viper HQI 70W. More PAR than stock light, more heat but maybe not so much because of open top, better gas exchange, more evaporation.

Option 1 would be about $350-$400, option 2 is $160.

What do you think?

r2d2

I think MH in hood is not an option due to heat issues. Thats why I came out with this fixture, I guess being at 6 or 7 in above water heat must dissipate before make more warm.
Any thoughts?

r2d2

Do you think 70W MH bulb will be enough for my JBJ28g?
What kind of corals can I keep with that lighting?

Greetings

blennielove

Hello r2d2,
I have had my 28 gallon JBJ nano cube for the past three years and recently upgraded from the metal halide to LED...
The metal halide in my tank definitely caused a heat increase which led to the purchase of a cooler for my tank which cost $300+ dollars and it sucks up a lot of electricity as it was coming on 7 to 10 times during the day.
I've had the JBJ LED now for two months and even though I still have heat issues, the cooler is only coming on 2-3 times a day.
I think for me, over time, the LED is a better choice but it is still not "perfect"