Ive Got No Idea

Tosh_Auer

Hi

I have been keeping tropical freshwater fish for a while now and am very interested in setting up a saltwater tank and was wondering what i need and how much a basic setup will cost me. Any advice will be much apprectiated.
Thanks.

reefshadow

Hi, Tosh!

Welcome to the board!

The problem with your question is that there isn't any one answer! There are many types of saltwater set ups, from a simple small tank with fish only, to a full blown reef aquarium. Cost is pretty much dependant on what you decide you want to do.
A good way to decide is to browse boards like these and look at lots of pics of different sizes and types of saltwater aquariums and make your choice based on what you like!
A beginner can set up a fairly low cost small tank if it is intended for fish only. You will need the tank of course, followed by substrate if desired, live rock, a small power head or two, a small protein skimmer, and hydrometer. A small tank can only support a couple or few fish and you would need to select carefully based on size at maturity, compatability,and the individual species need for space. Good choices for small tanks are typically a pair of clowns, small gobies, dottybacks, royal grammas, and other fish of that type that are relatively small, hardy and non-agressive.
Reef tanks need all of the above equipment plus some type of high powered lighting. power compacts and vho's are a good choice for small tanks if you don't intend to keep sps corals or clams (though some people do, successfully). Metal halide is the typical choice for a sps/clam tank.
Cost can go up very, very quickly with reef hardware, you can pretty much imagine any amount and then double that:rolleyes: .
Skimmers are not exactly necessary, but being a reefer who has run tanks with and without them, I now consider them indispensable. A smaller hang on the back type is usually sufficient for tanks smaller than 55 gallons or so, though this is an area that is hotly debated.
Alot of times if you save and wait you can find used equipment for a fraction of the price, even whole set ups occasionally.
I'm not sure of where you are located, or what the laws are in Australia, but having the GBR there could definately be a huge plus!!! Check before you collect, but if there are open areas you could definately save alot going that route.

Have fun and good luck!!!

-Becca :)

reefshadow

I wanted to qualify my last statement:D
Collecting some sand, live rock/rubble, and various algaes should not be an ethical problem (imo), but I would stay away from collecting corals and fish from the wild until you have a grasp on the basics of successfully keeping a tank for awile. I didn't mean to sound like you should collect anything that looks cool and think that maybe you can keep.

Seeya!
:)

Gina

RS STAFF
reefshadow pretty much covered it all. You may also want to consider a sump for your tank. I would not have a set-up without it. It gives you more volume of water and you can hide your skimmer, heater and such there. You may also want to consider if you want a DSB,crushed coral or bare bottom. Everyone has a different opinion about this so read what you can before you set up your tank.

Personally, I would go with Metal Halides. We started out with fish only and live rock but, like so many other people started getting a few corals. We then had to upgrade our lights which we paid about 500.00 for. Our orginal lights were 200.00. So now, we have an extra set of expensive lights in storage!

Spend alittle more now and get the best that you can so that you don't find yourself going back and buying a better version of what you already have.

And read, read and read some more!

Tosh_Auer

Hi thanks for the response and yeah i can collect some items for my tank as i live in Bundaberg which is the where allot of trips to the great barrier reef leave from. I live straigh across the road from a reef and i dive aswell so i was wondering what stuff you would advise and advise against me collecting as a beginner

Tosh_Auer

Gina what you said about a sump. is the theory behind them just to give you a larger water volume and allow you to hide filter equipment and heater and so on ? Also how big does the sump need to be? does it need to be made out of anything in particular?

reefshadow

Thanks, Gina, all good points!

Tosh, I would say that collecting live rock and sand would be sooo excellent, I wish I lived with you!:p

I have to say i'm not sure about what is available in your area, and what nasty hitchhikers could be hiding in any rock you obtain there. I would pick off any predatory crustacians for sure, also id any snails you may get as they are not all herbivores by any means.

live rock/rubble and some sand would be an excellent start for your tank. Are there any local reefers that could help you out on your search?

Totally jealous.:)

Tosh_Auer

Supprisingly for where i live there dont seem to be many people who do have reef tank setups and there dont seem to be any clubs or any organisations and there is only one pet shop that even sells saltwater fish and coral and so on. You have both been a huge help. Oh and Gina is lighting a huge issue with reef setups?

Brucey

Tosh .... just wanted to say welcome. The issue with lighting is dependant on what you want to keep. If you want to keep a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock), your lighting costs will be relatively cheap, if you want to keep Hard Coral, your expense will be ten fold more. You would be looking at VHO's or even better (in my opinion), Hetal Halide (MH) lighting.
Good luck
Brucey

Tosh_Auer

Thanks Bruce and as i am jsut beginning and after talking to people on this site and readign information i think i will be setting up a FOWLR.

Brucey

Tosh ..... That's great. One word of warning, and most people here will relate to it, a lot of people that think they will start with FOWLR usually end up upgrading and replacing everything the have bought so they can keep Corals / Clams etc etc that need the high intensity of VHO's or MH. The attraction just becomes too great, espicailly if you follow some of the coral pic threads running at the moment.
Take care
Brucey
PS, I won't mention the England Australia World Cup Final .... !!!

Tosh_Auer

Well ya mentioned the world cup final anyway didn't ya ive just got one thing to say

BORING!!!!!!!!

oh and if you look at our population and the amount of people we have to choose from we destroy every country in the world at the majority of sports. except soccer you can have that one.
Oh and thanks for the info mate nice meeting ya.

Gina

RS STAFF
Our sump is only a 10g. We would have really liked a 20g but, could not fit it under the tank.

Even though a refugium would be better, you can grow your macro algae there, we top off using the sump and if needed add any supplements from the sump.

You can also use the sump to grow pods and if neccessary throw any undesirable creatures in there.
We also noticed that when we added the sump it cut way down on those micro bubbles.

If your sure that you will be going with FOWLR then lights are not as important but, good luck with that! Most people I know have ended up getting corals. Too hard to resist!! :)

Tosh_Auer

Is there any probablem in using MH's in a FOWLR tank? If not ill probabaly buy them and wait until im alittle bit more experienced in keeping salwater fish before goin to corals. oh and with corals other then lights is there anything else i need?

Welcome Tosh, I would like to give my input on this. I have started my tank just about 9 mounths ago. a few of the points that theses others have given you are very good info indeed. That is fisrt: how much money do you plan on spending,( go as big as you can without going broke) Lighting $$$$ but worth every cent if you go with corals. I believe in both the sump: with calurpa on a 24/7 lighting for helping breaking down the amonia from the fish and adding oxegyn to the water. Reading is another big if not the bigest thing that you can do. These books are also very expensive. They are also worth every cent. You can never learn enough. The more knowledge the better. I too, am jealous of you being able to go to where you can get your own live rock, corals,etc. Then again, as said before be very carefull about what kind of critters are on and IN those rocks, some can be very harmfull.
Just a little info...As I said at the start only 9 mounths ago I did not even have a tank. Now today, I have a 240gal, with various fish and many corals. I can not get enough of this. The reef is such a wonderful place, I am so glad I have my little piece.

Also almost forgot, one of the biggest things when starting up a tank...do NOT rush anything, everything great comes over time.
I was told when I first started that a tank will start to look 'good' at about 1 year old, but at 2 years old it will look great. For me even after just 9 mo. and alot of $$$(well worth it) I think My tank looks pretty darn good, for a first timer.

I hope this helps you. Orv

reefshadow

Nice, Orvin!

It is addictive, isn't it?

MH shouldn't be a problem w/ a fowlr tank, Tosh. It is good advice to start out with the equipment you think you will eventually have/want anyway. Like Gina said, I also started with equipment I ended up replacing anyway.

Halides make any tank look superb; because they are a point light source they will give your tank beautiful glitter lines, and you will be adding corals faster than you could believe! Be aware however that they are hot and you will need fans at least to keep the temp within parameters. Hopefully your house has a/c as well or you may require a chiller with mh.

Cheers :D

I agree with you reefshadow, MH are the only way to go. I would also recomend vho actinics to bring in the day and to end the day with...plus the wonderful blue they give off makes the floresence in some of the corals just glow.

wooddood

the wood dude
great info from you all,i dont think i can anything else but to reshearch alot before you jump in full tilt.

mwrager

Just one point, if you are going to use your current tank or another used tank, make sure that they have not used copper in it.

Curtswearing

Great posts one and all. Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. As you have already figured out, we are a friendly bunch.

Mark brought up an excellent point about copper being used as a medication in a tropical fish tank. However, if you have used copper before it's not the end of the world.

You can use bleach to clean the tank and then rinse well. Maybe even do it a couple of times. This will remove the copper and you're safe to go to reef one day when you decide you just need to have a coral to go along with those fish.

I wanted you to see this web page HERE

This web page has a lot of resources for Australian reefers.
click HERE