its not ICH,, but what???

kyle4201

Got a black and white wrass the other day. I put him in QT with the rest of the fish that have beaten ICH but im waiting till dec 21st to put them in my MT to make sure the MT is ich free. Immediately got picked on pretty bad. I took him and put him in a floating side thing for a day and the fish got use to him. His fins are a little chewed but he is fine, swimming and eating fine. Still hiding in the corner though. I see these spots on him and I know its not ich (im unfortunately well aware of what that looks like). Im hoping its just dammaged scales and they will heal. They are only on his very back part and more on 1 side than the other. Like I said, im hoping, but usually things dont go good 4 me so go ahead and give it to me strait. My MAIN concern is that he wont get my other fish sick.
20131027_234900_zps79fd5233.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Kyle, Kyle, KYLE :nono::nono: Son, this is your SW mom talking here, SO LISTEN!!
DO NOT BE ADDING ANYMORE FISH = NO FISH...ZERO MORE until all your fish are 100% healthy and back into your main tank. You shouldn't be putting more fish into a crowded hospital tank with contagious fish.
I'd think that would equal having to start their time in CORN TEEN all over. Adding a new fish from the LFS might really be taking a GREAT chance of all your fish getting something that their lowered immune system can't fight off.
New fish additions can cause stress even for a healthy thriving DT.
You are hereby GROUNDED from anymore trips to the LFS. :mad:

Mike Johnson

I agree with DianaKay 100%. You're right in that it's not Ich. It's Monogenean Flukes. Does that make you feel any better? :(

kyle4201

Mom D, Im sorry, The GF came home with it cuz it looked like a penguin (she loves those and pandas, black and white, get it). I didnt have the heart to tell her no and also it was to late, plus I have never seen 1 like it b4. I feel horrible cuz she already gave the darn thing a name. I think she wasnt worried since we lost 2 fish 3 weeks ago (not sure why, water is good, just stopped eating).

Ok, so im guessing the copper is killing the flukes and thats why they r visible now??

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm not 100% sure that copper will do the trick or not. I do know that this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tid=12098&ref=6137&subref=NA&cmpid=PPC-B-6137

will make short work of them in less than 10 minutes if indeed they are flukes.

It stinks to have them on the fish but tons of fun watching them peel off in minutes if you have to treat them:)

Edit....I always treat new fish with this and copper together when cornteening new arrivals.

kyle4201

can I put that in the corn teen tank with the copper and other fish or is it in a separate bucket for like 5 minutes kind of like a salt water dip?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
can I put that in the corn teen tank with the copper and other fish or is it in a separate bucket for like 5 minutes kind of like a salt water dip?

I knew you'd ask that question which is why I added the edit:)

Edit....I always treat new fish with this and copper together when cornteening new arrivals.

kyle4201

Lol. Gotcha. just called one of the places thats on my way home and they have it so since I'm getting off early before I vvacuum the pool I guess I will watch some flukes die. :)

Update to follow, maybe some video if I can swing it.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Video would be cool.

My Hawaiian Naso had an eye fluke on her when I bought her. I added Prazi, walked to my freezer to grab some Frozen food and as I walked back to the tank it was hanging off of her eye. In less than 3 minutes I watched in amazement the fluke sloth off and die. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would have never believed it.

kyle4201

well, here is a suprising turn of events,,,, I came home today with the meds, all excited to get video of flukes dying and falling off my wrass. To my bewilderment,,, hes healthy and happy, no marks, totally clean and swimming with the fish that use to kick his butt!!! I treated the tank just incase it was flukes to make sure they r dead. he sucks in but spits out the gut full brine shrimp every1 else eats,,, but i put some mysis in a feeding dropper thing and he eats them right out of the end. (I say he,, bur Lea named it Mollie after our friend who loves penguins,,, so I guess its a girl, lol ) As happyI LOVE THIS PLACE!!!! am that all looks good,, I can only b a little sad that I didnt get video of something I never saw b4. Once again,,, my REEFSANCTUARY friends were right there for me and I cant thank you all enough. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! :)

Mama D,, I will be contacting you the next time I get the itch to go to the LFS,, I know you right,, but Im such an addict!!! I need a sponsor and Im glad you stepped up, lollol.
:surrender:

lbiminiblue

Awesome. Never heard of these wrasses before. Might want to watch on future additions, especially copepod eaters.

kyle4201

I think thats why she got it,, it was something different than all the "Boring" fish pictures ive showed her, lol.. plus, it looks like a penguin fish, lollol