Issues with deltec mc500

black2012

I've read other threads with people having similar issues with their mc500's. Basically, my tank is around a month old - parameters are all good. I have 2 small clowns and two pieces of coral in my 250, which I understand is not a large bio load. I also started with all dead rock and sand, so there was no die off.

Basically, my skimmer is not producing any skimmate. Even with the cup in the lowest position, I can not get the foam to the top of the chamber. My water level is consistent as I have a tunze osmolator and the air hose is completely open - i even took the ball valve off in case it was causing a blockage.

Could it just be that with my minimal bio load there is nothing to skim?

I thought i'd at least be able to make it skim clear, clean foam.

Thanks!

black2012

I should add that i feed every 2-3 days, a highly varied diet of cyclopeez, brine shrimp, and prime reef. I add about 1/4 of a cube each feeding, which I know is probably too much but I have a clean up crew that I want to make sure is fed.

Willie McDaries

to my understanding,Deltec makes extremely efficient skimmers,it may just not have anything to skim,as the DOCs start to build up in the water,it should start to push more foam into the cup,my skimmer slows foam production if I go a few days without feeding too....if you wanted to experiment a little,you could over feed a few times and see if it doesn't start producing more foam...

Sapphire

i have the same skimmer in my 130. Certainly when the bio load is low you won't get anywhere near as much skimmate as when it's higher (or when you've been moving things in the tank etc!).

One thing we needed to do was put the skimmer on a piece of pipe to make it sit at the right level - but I really don't know about the 250, so it may not be relevant.