Is this to much light

Barcochris

I am running 2 250 watt 14k metal halides. I am also going to put 2 96 watt PC actinic and 2 96 watt pc 10 or 12k bulbs above my tank. My tank is 110 gallon 18 inch deep tank. I would like to keep a wide selection of coral and fish. Right now I have a clam and a couple coral. I have no real desire to keep SPS so it is really only going to be LPS and softies.

BoomerD

What are the dimensions of your tank Chris? In MOST cases, if you can keep a clam happy, you can keep anything. 250 watt MIGHT be a bit of overkill for an 18" deep tank, but NOT if you are keeping animals that are more light demanding, like clams or SPS. Softies and LPS can do very well under PC or VHO lighting, provided you have enough of them...I'd say that if you can control the heat in your tank, you should be good for about any kind of coral.
BTW, if your MH bulbs are 10K to 15K, you probably don't need the 10K or 12K PC's. All most people use them for is actinic supplementation if they have halides. I have seen a couple of people use 20K MH, then use the 10-12K VHO's to whiten up the tank a bit, but to me, that's backwards...

Barcochris

The reason that I want the 10 to 12 k PC is that I am going to run a 4 to 6 hr photo period with the 14K MH, and I want the other lights for just viewing the tank. I am not going to keep SPS, I just don't want to have to much light and burn the softies. nor do I want everything sitting on the bottom of the tank. The dimenions of the tank are 60x18(maybe 24)x 18.

blue_eyes53813

If you run into problems like bleaching you could raise the lights up and inch or two..or cut back on the photo period ... I have 7.5 watts per gallon and dont have a problem with bleaching... You will just have to watch the livestock and if they show stress cut back or raise the lights. I think you will be fine though.

prow

too much light for what you want. T5's would give you the most options. but like blue eyes53813 said you can always just raise the light up and see what happens.