HELP! Is this the start of slow tissue necrosis?

Rick76

Dear All,

I have had a stable Acropora for almost 6mths... However there this now a small area of bleaching. Is this the start of slow tissue necrosis? It has been bleaching the last 2-3 days.
No other corals seem to be showing any indication of stress

If so should I frag this section off? Or dip?

Help would be appreciated.

-------

Stable parameters at:
Ammonia & Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1.5 ppm
Phosphate 0.02ppm
Calcium 450ppm
Magnesium 1500 ppm
Alkalinity 7dKH
Salinity 1.025
ph 8.3
59006be289d757c957ba0888e29a9b5a.jpg
c0b397f2e3debec7ce98a69c4f73b3ad.jpg
044a4453ee50e7a60b29f818b947993b.jpg
9073b22faa199e549bf2e616aad228b5.jpg

Last edited:

Antics

Does it happen to have pretty bad shading/shadowing in the areas that its white? I know some LEDs cause issues when SPS grow large due to a loss of light in the core of the colony.

DaveK

Yes, it could be STN. It's hard to tell, even with a photo. I do notice that the coral is turning brown toward the base. This usually means it's not happy about something.

Lighting can be a factor. Have you moved the coral or changed the lighting around lately?

I do notice that you alkalinity is a little low for SPS corals. You might want to slowly work that up to about 8 or 9 dkh for that.

If this continues to get worse I would frag off some pieces, and mount them.

Rick76

Yes, it could be STN. It's hard to tell, even with a photo. I do notice that the coral is turning brown toward the base. This usually means it's not happy about something.

Lighting can be a factor. Have you moved the coral or changed the lighting around lately?

I do notice that you alkalinity is a little low for SPS corals. You might want to slowly work that up to about 8 or 9 dkh for that.

If this continues to get worse I would frag off some pieces, and mount them.
Hi DaveK,

Thanks for the post.

Nothing has changed or moved. I have noticed over the past few weeks my Alkalinity has dropped slightly - in fact testing it tonight was 6.4

Do you use baking soda to increase your alkalinity?

Thanks again for the help

Rick

Rick76

Does it happen to have pretty bad shading/shadowing in the areas that its white? I know some LEDs cause issues when SPS grow large due to a loss of light in the core of the colony.
Hi Antics,

Thanks for the reply. No shadowing or changes have been made in the lighting. The lighting program hasn't even changed in the last 6 months.

In fact my montipora has been growing like mad!

Antics

Do you use a two part of any kind to keep your alkalinity and calcium in check? Have you introduced anything new to the tank recently? I.e. water change, new media, new life stock, etc.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Try to clip back the receding areas and get that alk up to at least 7.5

Rick76

Do you use a two part of any kind to keep your alkalinity and calcium in check? Have you introduced anything new to the tank recently? I.e. water change, new media, new life stock, etc.
The only partial change I made just over a month ago was to supplement the calcium a little as it was sitting just below 400.

I don't use a two part to keep the alkalinity stable - probably my error. You live and learn.... I'll slowly supplement to raise the alkalinity over the next week. Hopefully this will make a difference.