Is this OK

robinscp

I am looking to have a pair of clowns and an anemone in a 35l tank.

The tanks filtration is as the picture and I would be removing the ceramic bio rings and replacing with purigen and using live rock as the bio filter.

Will this be ok for the two fish and a few shrimps and mushrooms etc. I will be using live rock and water from my existing tank.

Thanks

Craig

Attachments

• 12491071_o.jpg
    12491071_o.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 72

Warnberg

robincp, in a tank that size I would not worry about the bio rings, the reason I say that is it is very easy to do a water change. Most people I know with small tanks will change a portion of water almost weekly. Only concern I have is the lighting, most all anemones require lots of light and some mushrooms won't like that much. Other than that you should be good to go. Try talking to some of the guys that have nano tanks, they can help you lots.

KMP

craig, yes you will be ok with the setup/changes you recommended. one can never argue that a skimmer isnt' the best way to go, but you can do without in our tanks. from the pictures you have, i assume you can skim the water. that would be good especially if the water is flowing over a sponge as it comes into the chamber. note on the sponge - clean at least once a week. and yes, i do a water change (4g) at minimum every 2 weeks.

for my tank i took out one sponge (left the other in to catch gunk from skimmed water) took out the bio balls and ceramic rings and added carbon, purigen and rowaphos. i have an anenome, mushrooms, suncoral, monti-cap, zoa's with 144w of light. all are doing fine. just be mindful of where you are putting things in the tank. for example, the mushrooms are on a side of one of my rocks (less direct light), the monti-cap is directly under the light, the suncoral has the light shielded by the monti-cap, etc. i also have some fish and shrimp.

12g Dude

Take it slow and add livestock cautiously. I've been using Purigen in my Nano along with some carbon (both pros and cons on the carbon, but it seems to be working for me) Religious waterchanges is the key and keep an eye on the algea growth. You should be fine.

BoomerD

My only concerns would be:
1) a 12 gallon (35 l.) tank only has a safe stocking limit of about 2-1/2" of adult sized fish. ONE clown exceeds that limit, (but would probably be ok if it's one of the smaller species, and water changes are done religiously.)
2) lighting for an anemone won't be cheap, but, of course there are many options for these tanks:
http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/
http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/

Now I see you're on the other side of the pond, so I don't know if any of them will ship to you, but I'm sure you have viable options over there as well.
The stocking limits are what has always kept me from having a nano. It's hard to justify crowding fish in a sardine can...but they are ok for corals and one (or maybe 2) VERY small fish...

robinscp

I am having second thoughts on the stocking of this tank.

I currently have the clowns in my 400l setup and was going to move them because they are a bit boistrous to the other fish.

I am now thinking of using the 35l tank for a pair of seahorses. I am not rushing into anything and will think it through.

Its good to hear your veiws so that hopefully I can avoid as many pitfalls as possible.

Cheers

Craig

lcstorc

For starters I vote for the seahorses. I absolutely adore mine.
A couple of things to mention though.
First you are going to have to be careful to choose one of the smaller types of ponies as well. Some get up to 12in long and then you are back to the same overstocking issue.
The second is that you have to feed them a lot and slowly. This means you have to keep an even closer eye on the water paramaters and cleaning etc. since there is lots of "extra" food floating around.
Mine is helped by the fact that I have my seahorse nano share water with my 125g reef. I'm going with the "dilution is the solution to polution" concept. That certainly helps, but I do get cyano in the tank periodically and do weekly 20% wc on the entire system as well.
Just a couple of things to think about. Best of luck whatever you decide.