Is this little dude OK or NOT?

Fcabezas

This hitchhiked on the back of a snail that was part of my CUC. The snail got close to the powerhead and I guess this thing thought there was too much flow from it and literally just walked off the snail shell onto my rock work. What is it? Whatever it is, it's center glows orange under Actinics.

_DSC0812.jpg

Looks like a majano anenome. some don't mind them. they will reproduce quickly and will sting nearby corals. I have a few in my tank but I try to keep them undercontrol with Apstaia X

Fcabezas

Majano Anemone....So if that is what it is, is there another way of getting rid of it other than by using Chemicals? Is there something that likes to eat these things? Maybe?

Luukosian

I've had one that looks almost exactly like that in my tank since I set it up. It has grown a little bit, and moved 2 or 3 times since then but it has never multiplied. After posting and looking at pictures I came to the conclusion it was some type of rock anemone. I've always fed it mysis when I feed the tank too.

An aiptasia x or other aiptasia control product is usually just a form of liquid calcium so it won't hurt your tank. You could also use lemon juice or boiling water.

Let it just stay for a while. Either way it won't hurt anything right now. if it's a rock anenome then it will get bigger and quite beautiful. I have one and love it. if you see two or three more popping up soon then you'll know it's a majano and you may want to consider elimanating or controlling them.

Fcabezas

Anthony, you're right, that is exactly what it looks like. I too feed it Mysis and it has moved a few times but no more than a 3 inch radius. I will just watch it and see what becomes of it.

Luukosian

Mine has recently moved behind a peice of rock where I can't take a good picture but its been up and kicking for over a year with no problems. It stays partially closed most of the day but opens up in the evening. It was right in the middle of those yellow polyps at one point and never stung them or caused any problems so I would just monitor it like you said.

l3fty999

This hitchhiked on the back of a snail that was part of my CUC. The snail got close to the powerhead and I guess this thing thought there was too much flow from it and literally just walked off the snail shell onto my rock work. What is it? Whatever it is, it's center glows orange under Actinics.

_DSC0812.jpg

I don't think I've ever had a majano glow orange under actinics, much less have one move when having any flow directed at it. At one time, I had a 20 gallon tank dedicated to them for observation and your anemone doesn't look like any majano I've seen. What you have looks really cool and I hope it isn't a pest anemone of some kind. Do the research on majanos, and you should find lots of information.

Aaron

squiers007

Definately not a majano, That is a rock anemone and will not hurt your tank in any way. That being said they do like to be fed and can grow quit large. I'm pretty sure they are not photosynthetic but still seem to do fine if you feed them once a week. I have had several in the past and they are fun to watch. They will usually move around for a little bit, but then they settle in a place they like. I even had one burrow into my sand bed and extend just above the surface.

K L R

i have 2 of those in my clownfish anemone tank.... they were called flower anemones at the lfs and peppermint shrimp may eat them