is this bryopsis? and should i control?

Me Again!
This guy came on a piece of Fiji LR I got around 5 months ago, and has been pretty quiet. In the last 2 weeks, he's taken off. Is this Bryopsis? I know it can get out of control, should I remove it completely? (though I like the look of it and would hate to do so). Or can it be controlled with thinning?
my macroalgae in my tank has taken off in a matter of weeks, which I can't figure out. Nitrates test 0, temp 78, I've limited regular light to 11 hours, actinic is 12 (should i reduce that?). I've had a lot of these specimens for 5-7months (set upt he tank in Feb) and now they're taking off; is the tank just maturing to a point where that happens? I know regualr phosphate tests don't test the form that you need to know about, could that be it? I don't have crazy amounts of algae on the glass, so I'm just not sure...I don't have a refugium, it's a 29-gal biocube. appreciate any thoughts:

fernalgae.jpg

rats, i have some nice mushrooms and red turf on that rock, i hate to do that. but thanks for the confirmation on the bryopsis!

IamELMO

And I think of the bryopsis, it looks like the pennata variety which apparently is one of the worserer ones. I agree, take the rock out. As for the mushroom, cut as much off as you can put it back in the tank - it'll settle and keep trucking.

Once bryospsis set sin - it's very very hard to remove.

anewguy

I thought heavy nutrient export and high doses of kents tech-m magnessium were viable options also? Please correct me if i'm wrong.:hammerhea

IamELMO

From my experience, and what I've read - it has mixed results. It can work for some, but given an opportunity to remove it prior to being a problem, I would grab it with both hands.