Is this a Limpet?

wooddood

the wood dude
it looks like it gina but kinda hard to tell for sure in that pic.maybe try another pic.sorry.

RogueCorps

Hi Gina,

Yes it is a limpet. I had heard that they can sometimes have very sharp rasping mouth parts, so keep an eye on them in case you're using an acrylic tank.

Anthony Calfo spoke a bit about Limpets and Chitons at our local meeting a couple weeks ago also. He said that Chitons are almost all harmless and completely safe to have in our tanks. Limpets though can be not-reefsafe. Basically if it's grey to brown or not highly colored then it's likely safe. Any brightly colored limpets may be predatory or cause trouble. His words, "You can't be big, orange, squishy and be able to sit out in the open unless you have a good defense."

The one you've pictured looks just like ones that appeared in one of my tanks, lasted for quite a few years, then all disappeared. I doubt that it would cause any problems.

-Rogue :)

RanRoc

looks like one to me. If it has a hole at the top of shell, perhaps more specifically a keyhole limpet. I used to have a couple, but my (former) peppermint shrimp ate them. I saw one shrimp pulling out the limpet's "meat" from the hole at the top of the shell while it was moving trying to get away, literally eating it alive!
-RY

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I agree with the mass - Limpet. LOL - I wouldn't be me if I didn't give you a link though. I decided to do something different. This link is one I used to teach my 2 year old, so the information is very basic, but good none the less.

Limpet

Craig Manoukian

Key Hole Limpet. Look for the hole at the top of the shell.

Got 30 - 50 of them in my tank. Awesome algeavores and non-destructive. They came on my LR and hatched in my tank. Started as little bitties and in two years some have grown to the size of a quarter. You'll love 'em!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Gina

RS STAFF
Thanks for all the replys. I had read that they are reef safe and a good thing to have. I just wanted to make sure this is what we have. When we first saw him a couple of months ago he was about the size of an eraser head. He is now about the size of a dime.

Witfull

oh, for any one who has spent time on Hawaiian rocky shores you have seen them...over there they are called Opihi.