Is there such thing as too much GFO for FOWLR?

godzen

I use the regular BRS GFO stuff. However, I put in 4 times as much as the recommended amount. This is my second time around. My phosphate was in the 1.5+ so I used a lot at first to get the number down. It dropped max to 0.03 and held stable before climbing back up to 0.07. I was never able to get it down to 0. The GFO was used for not even two weeks before it was saturated. Does this sound right? Anyway, I replaced the GFO. It saids about 1 cup for 64 gal. I have 65 gal and put in about 3-4 cups. My phosphate is at 0.03 atm post 24 hours. It was 0.07 before I put in the GFO. Tank is currently FOWLR. This shouldn't cause any problem should it?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wouldn't think there is a problem with using to much but you really should address what caused the high phosphates in the first place.

sk8rdn

engineer goby said:
I wouldn't think there is a problem with using to much but you really should address what caused the high phosphates in the first place.

I agree. What is the source?
I wouldn't overdose with it like that 100% of the time but "in a pinch" I would overdose to lower levels out of a danger zone while I prep a heavy water change.

...."Fish" Happens!....

godzen

I agree. What is the source?
I wouldn't overdose with it like that 100% of the time but "in a pinch" I would overdose to lower levels out of a danger zone while I prep a heavy water change.

...."Fish" Happens!....

I believe it's just new rocks and the pukani purchased from BRS. It hasn't gotten my phosphate down to 0 yet but currently at 0.02. This is taken with the hanna phosphate checker. My pH is at 8.2, Ca and Mg Within recommended range. If there's nothing to worry, then I'd just focus on trying to get rid of the phosphate

sk8rdn

.02 is pretty darn close... I wouldn't overly stress over two hundredths of a reading...

...."Fish" Happens!....

sk8rdn

I am by far no expert, but I don't like "chasing numbers." Bad things tend to happen then.

But thanks for the vote of confidence... :D

...."Fish" Happens!....