Is there a safe for everything ICH treatment?

One of the chromis in my reef is scratching against the back glass, and it appears that there might be a few white spots on the Sailfins tail. I am not sure what is going on,I currently have a Coral Beauty in a hospital bucket being treated for Ich, from a different tank! (no shared filtration, haven't swapped any rocks or anything from one to the other, Dunno!)

Anyway, the stuff that I am treating the Coral Beauty with, cannot be used in a reef. Is there anything that can be? I have quite a few coral frags in there, and a pompom crab, horse shoe crab, hermit, nassarious snails, a limpet, ect.

There are no reef-safe ich fixes.. I've tried most of them and learned the hard way. Copper or hypo salinity is the best bet. (Outside the reef tank of course!)

Well, this is not cool, because I have an 8 gallon hospital tank. How in the world am I going to keep 3 chromis, a sailfin tang, 2 clownfish, a watchman goby and an angel fish in there? geez anyway. Guess it's time to get to work on coming up with something.

smkndrgn142

From what I've learned reading the threads on this site, marine ich is not something you can rid your tank of easily. However with care you can keep your fish from showing symptoms. I'd suggest doing a search of the threads and see what you can find. with such a small hospital tank, I'd suggest treating the individual fish with a fresh water dip. this isn't a procedure to take lightly, however, as you can kill your fish. but if done carefully, it can kill the parasites in your fish and allow them to recover while you fix any water quality issues in your tank. There's clearly something going on there in order for these symptoms to show. It would help if you posted you test results so we can get an idea of what's going on inside your tank...pics would probably be a good idea too. Many times your tests will be perfect, but only because a nuisance algae of some sort is using up excess trates and phosphates, but these could still be causing a problem.

oakleyx

My advice is to buy a 40 gallon hospital tank and treat all your fish with cupramine. Leave your tank fish less for 8 weeks.

I had ich and thought I could try all this stuff that is reef safe but none of it worked.

It might stress you out at first but it's not that bad.

I would lees post under fish disease. He knows what he is talking about.

Good luck

I would

GlassMunky

I know alot of people here will disagree with me and say the ONLY way to get rid of ich is to setup a QT and use copper. I disagree. Copper is probably the best way to get rid of it but not the only. I used Microbe-lift Herbtana for something like a month (Whatever the directions on the bottle say) and it worked for me. i had a bunch of corals and inverts in there too. No ill effects to anything other than the ICH. worth a try IMO

lcstorc

How long ago did you try it? Ich can hide for a long time and some fish can even develop a partial immunity. The only way to truly rid the tank and fish is to QT with Copper or hyposalinity for 8 weeks and to do the same for any item that will enter your tank.
Ich is a parasite. It cannot live 8 weeks without a fish host so if the tank is fish free for 8 weeks then the tank will be free from ich. The problem is to resis re-infecting the tank with new purchases.
There are a few things that can help the fish to fight off an ich attach including UV, garlic, and water changes, but they do not remove the ich, just increase the immune system of the fish so it can fight the infestation better. If they become ill or stressed the signs of ich will return.

GlassMunky

This was when i first got the fish for my tank, so back in like febuary or so. I didnt put any fish in after that. And to this day all my fish are fine and show absolutly no symptoms. Worked for me. :)

SecretAgent

Hey Glass monkey, same happened for me except I didnt use chemicles of any kind, just fed garlic soaked food. If that ich hung around, I guess they found them a space me, the fish nor anything else knew about cause nothing has ever come of it again. It came in on a Achillies tang that was covered in the spots from tail to nose. This was a couple years ago, nothing since....I sold the Tang to a friend about a year after having it but every fish I had with it in the tank back then is still in it today and they never got the first spot. I feed garlic soaked brine along with spuralina flakes and another flake mix.

I just got another Achillies but its in my 155g and within a few hours it was eating the same foods the other fish eat. It was shipped to me in a bag with water that was blueish green. I guess it was some kind of medication in the water to help ward off something it may get from the stress of shipping. Havent seen a speck of anything on this fish. That rascal is hitting on all cylinders as if he has been in the tank its whole life