Is my gorgonian dying?

dirtbike1990

IMAG0259.jpgIMAG0260.jpg

Lately my Gorgonian hasn't been blossoming like it used too is it dying or just going through a cycle? Yesterday i noticed at the bottom of the plant it looks like its regrowing because its bright blue color is coming back. Whats your guys opinion?

well how long have you had it? see corals + anemones go adjust to the lighting and stuff. it most be normal but what r ur parameters and u probably have enoup lighting but what is it just in case.

dirtbike1990

All my water parameters are good I had them checked today at the lfs. I have a 4 t5 54 watt bulb fixture on a 55 gallon tank. I've had it for almost a month now.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I understand these corals to desire high lighting. U may be under powered dude.

......reefing. not for the faint of heart or spirit.

Tru2nr

can't really tell from the pic but two things come to mind, 1) if the gorgonian is sitting in the substrate you can cause necrosis with the flesh, two are you sure its a photosynthetic gorg....how long have you had it for?

N83259

I can't tell what species you have. Most Gorgonians are non photosynthetic animals and require planktonic foods added to the system to stay alive. What, if anything are you feeding? Also, I've noticed Gorgonians are highly susceptible to various kinds of algae growing on them...it interferes with their feeding. To keep most Gorgonians, you really have to keep the PO4 & NO3 down, and of course heavy feeding makes this a challenge. good luck.

Surfnut

If I recall correctly most gargonians are deep water, low light species requiring planktonic foods. I could b e wrong but this bugger may be dying off on the tops due to overexposure of light. Try moving it to a shaded area, if possible, and see if this improves its condition. At one point I was going to make a low light deeper water tank. One of the corals I was going to populate it with were numerous gargonians. If I recall they require low light and and medium flow.

Hope this helps...

dirtbike1990

I feed it phytofeast everyday and I'm not to sure on the species either but ill try moving it up a little higher on a rock and see if it changes any.

dirtbike1990

I moved it up in the middle of the tank now and it seems to be showing results. It's slowly starting to gain its color back all over and today the bottom started to blossom again! I find it so crazy that such a little change can make a huge impact in this hobby I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the help and I will keep everyone posted.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Glad to hear u found ur fix. Every day we learn new things. All of us.

.....I'm a Myreeftoyours.com addict.

Tru2nr

Once you get it back to health i would try to identify if its photo or non-photo so you know the best care