Is my cucumber too big

Basile

This is my Tiger Tail (Holothuria sp.) . It never split, and i'm wondering why? Does anybody have a reason why they do or if it can be triggered, lol. At 22" long, and 1" wide.

Still growing at 14" on this one

040.jpg

And growing this was months ago

050.jpg

Now one early morning i was able to measure him when he was totally outside the rockwork at 22" in lenght I'm concerned.

Not normaly toxic for a tank, they're usually smaller . Now if this one where to die , then what....He's in a 150G tank, and the sooner he split the better , i'll give away the second part lol. He's very good cleaner, i'm just not sure if its normal to be that big. Anybody have one like that.

minions_gif_2_by_wonderfuday-d4upkrw.gif

I write big for my iphone friends

Oxylebius

Haha! I was expecting a post like PaulB does, is my "cucumber too big?" and in his tank is a cucumber vegetable.

In all seriousness though, that is one amazing specimen you've got there!

Basile

Haha! I was expecting a post like PaulB does, is my "cucumber too big?" and in his tank is a cucumber vegetable.

Your killing me here man you should heard and seen the reaction at my local club....... it whent on and on for 20 min before it finaly got nowhere LOL.... but i am actually worried about this. And i don't find any article on the subject about why it actually happens or the conditions it take for it to happen. And even if its not a toxic one if it where to die its wouldn't be good for the tank. I don't think it going to die soon it has lots to eat and thats one of my questions why wouldn't it split in those conditions.... really at a lost on this one.

Of course when you blur out my cucumber is 24" long what do i do with it ? It tends to become quiet real quick in a room full of people......and thats with people with knowledge.....

tumblr_mry4m3irPj1s821tso1_400.gif

Oxylebius

Well, its not like its a sea apple, which are know to wipe out tanks. As long as you don't let the animal sit and decay in the tank, I really don't think this cuc will wipe out your tank if it dies. You always run carbon right and have a big skimmer, both of which would take the toxins out of the water. And you can do some water changes. All of which help get the toxins out of the water (carbon, skimming, h2o changes). Plus your system is mature. I'm fairly certain that if the cuc dies it won't have serious issues, if caught in a timely manner and pulled from the tank. And you know, many of those sponges that you have can be more toxic then that cuc.

Choff

I was expecting a locked thread. :D

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have to admit, I expected something a little risqué. Guess my mind was in the gutter.
With that said, it is pretty neat.

Last edited:

Basile

Ok i found a good article and from what i've red it'll split if reproduce sexually if condition are bad and will split(reproduction asexually) if it has enough food.

My tank is a 150G with a cuke that is 22" going for 24" i'm not sure if my tank can ever produce enough food for this guy...... you know what i mean.... When i got it it was a 16" and it was a fairely new tank. So can i ever hope for him to split.

This is the article very interesting. To get to the good part ; control.F "reproduction" and you'll find the text.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/inverts

Actually here's the quote;

"Holothuria atra is an Indo-Pacific species that is capable of asexual reproduction (fission) when well-fed, but appear to switch to sexual reproduction when stressed. Thus, spawning in the aquarium for this species is an obvious sign that they are not being kept under ideal conditions. H. atra are found exclusively in regions with fine sandy sediments and small coral rubble, and are a nonspecific detritivore. They ingest sand particles whole, digesting away the organic coating and associated detritus before defecating nice clean sand (see photo). Photo A Nilsen"

Oxylebius

The quote you provided is for Holothuria atra, I believe your cuc is a Holothuria impatiens or a Holothuria hilla. And unfortunately, I believe H. impatiens is gonochoristic and reproduces via spawning.

Holothuria impatiens
http://dept.lamar.edu/biology/Belize study abroad/belize critter pages/Marine/tigertailcucumber.htm
http://www.gbri.org.au/Species/Holothuriaimpatiens.aspx?PageContentID=2650 - you need to read this one on reproduction!!!
http://www.gbri.org.au/Species/Holothuriaimpatiens.aspx

Holothuria hilla
This one does split - http://www.gbri.org.au/Classes/2012/Holothuriahilla|LeeLayJia?PageContentID=2869

Paul B

Those things are actually very common in the Caribbean and get much larger than that. I have some pictures but I don't know where they are.

It didn't take to much time to "produce" mine.

Basile

Those things are actually very common in the Caribbean and get much larger than that. I have some pictures but I don't know where they are.

It didn't take to much time to "produce" mine.

You know you kill me Paul its the second time with this cucumber of yours LMFAO hahahahaahah

Basile

Hope is here

Well it may be happening now, i haven't seen him in 4 days now, and from my book, cukes can hide for a month while splitting the bigger they are the longer it takes for them to reform a mouth or an ........ss and be able to function. One of the reason they need that extra food for the journey....

If you call splitting yourself a journey.... but anyway. So no sight of hime yet! In the off chance that he's dead i've put an extra bag of carbon in the sump, and be praying for split ends lol.

giphy%205.gif

Oxylebius

Keep us posted.
And keep some extra water made up and carbon on hand just in case it is dead somewhere and not in hiding to split.