Is it ich or something else?

msalih81

I think my powder blue tang caught ich or possibly something else about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure though because my other 3 fish, yellow tang, maroon clown, and dottyback seem to be unaffected thus far. Also he is nice and fat and eating like crazy, no cloudy eyes. He is irritated though alot of dashing and scratching and has lost some color. I have been feeding him well 1x per day of marine cuisine/brine shrimp/ or mysid shrimp and try to have romaine lettuce or green or brown seaweed available at all times. He does have the salt sized white spots that usually would indicate ich but with the other info provided, is there anything else it could be? From what i've read 3 weeks is a while for a fish to have ich. It's not marine velvet he doesn't have that powdery white look. Also if he has lived this long is there any chance of him recovering on his own? My water conditions are great ammon 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 calcium 440 dkh phos 0 10 sg 1.025 temp 80 degrees, also saw some copeods today, they are all over my glass =) I considered a fw dip but the ich will still be in the DT so it seems pointless. I don't have a QT, but planning on getting one if I decide on another fish. Any info or thoughts guys? thanks

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like ich. My PBT just did the same thing and now all fish are out and in QT. 8 weeks of a fishless tank here I come.

DaveK

If at all possible, first post a picture.

If the fish really does have ich, you need to treat every fish in the tank in a quarantine tank. Powder blue tangs are notorious "ich magnets". While it may seem to recover, the disease is still in the system, just waiting to infect any new fish you might add.

msalih81

I've read up alot on marine ich etc. Just wondering if anything else causes the above symptoms since it's eating, been 3 weeks, none of the other 3 fish are scratching or have had any spots, no cloudy eyes, etc.? Thanks

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Some fish won't b affected. Some will keel over. U have pics?

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

msalih81

The only camera I have is a crappy cell cam and the fish is never still to take a picture either lol. If the fish has ich and has had it this long and eating like a pig do you think it could make it on its own?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm going against popular opinion here. If ur tanks very mature u have a chance. New tank bye bye fish. Id qt new friend

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Tru2nr

Some fish become "immune" to marine ich they still carry the parasite and can pass it along even if they do not show signs. I would QT all fish and leave tank fallow for 10 weeks to fully eliminate it from the DT and user either copper or hypo on the fish to rid them of the parasite

...60% of the time it works every time

BLADEYAMAHA

You need to QT all the fish and leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks at least. That's about the only thing you can do. IMO.

leebca

msalih,

You need to keep reading if you think it isn't Marine Ich because other fishes are not showing symptoms or displaying. In the link I provided there are other links that explain why those other fishes might not be displaying, but are in fact infected with the parasite. If the fish displaying is diagnosed with Marine Ich, then the way forward is clear. All fish need treating and the tank needs to be rid of the parasite by going fishless for 8 weeks at least.

There are parasites that have some similarlity to Marine Ich, but those spots are not as white, not the same size, and not the as well defined as the spots that belong to Marine Ich. That's why it was suggested in the post I likned that you study Internet photos of fishes that are displaying this parasite's spots and see if their spots compare to what you see. Other than your own comparision, then all we can do is look at photos you provide to give you that same comparison.

The parasites that do in fact immitate Marine Ich are killed off by treating with Cupramine and also require the other fishes be treated and the tank going fishless. So, it kind of doesn't matter if you can't tell Marine Ich spots from other parasitic spots. If in doubt, then choose the Cupramine treatment process to be sure. The hyposalinity treatment only cures fish of Marine Ich.

The longer the wait, the greater the possibility the fish will not recover even if properly treated. Good luck! :)

Can you find someone with a camera and good photo skills to do the photos?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My tank never showed signs of ich but when i added my PBT after putting him through a copper treatment, he got ich in three days which means it was in my tank but not visibly affecting my fish. I haven't seen the spots ever since i took him out (and he is healthy as an ox) but i'm still treating him.......with the PBT, your best off taking all precautions and knowing that your tank is ich free by going fallow is the first place to start.