is everything ok with my clam ?

biju708

Hi, today I noticed that my clam was starting to behave strangly, it's not extending the lip as it does normally although it is open the mussle is not coming out of the shell. It there something wrong with it ?

IMG_0805.JPG

blue_eyes53813

Im afraid it doesnt look good for the clam,,, sorry. I may be wrong but it looks like from the picture that it is pulling away from the inside of the shell and that means it is dieing..When you touch the shell with something does it have a reflex or try to pull shut? Sorry

biju708

I have T5's 200W, I have it for four months now it was always ok. I just added more current to the tank that's the only change I made.

Witfull

i hate to tell you this,,,its gone. seen it happen, when it gets to the point off peeling and no reaction to movement...time to get it out of the tank.

sorry for your loss.

mps9506

Ya, go ahead and pull it from the tank. I would inspect the shell for parasitic snails before you toss it.

blue_eyes53813

Well you always hope for a little good luck, that it would just be sleeping..... But ...... yea,,, I think it is gone too....

SueT

yeah, like Witful said this clam is definitely gone. Once the mantle starts falling in on itself the clam is dead and will not come back from that. To die that fast within 24 hours is a strange happening. If flow was the only thing different did anything happen in your water params?? This looks like a maxima to me..due to the shutes on the side.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
agreed...i had aclam do the same thing ..i waited to long and when i pulled it out it slide out the bottom and made a mess ..good luck really sorry to hear about your sick clam.karma to you.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Here is a photo I took of one of my snails that had pyramids on it. It will give you a perspective of how tiny the pyramids are....

61parisitic_pyramid_snails_2.JPG

SueT

pyramids are about half the size of a piece of rice. I had to get my glasses to look for them, they are that hard to see....

blue_eyes53813

oh man, I just noticed them on some of my snails the other day,, I think they came in on a shipment of new snails... How do you get rid of them? And is my clam doomed?

SueT

once they get into your rock structure it's harder to get rid of them. About the only way is to manually remove them. Take each snail you see them on and brush them off with a toothbrush. It may take a month or longer. If you do this every time you see them then you can get rid of them. It's just a real pain...