Is Dowflake still safe?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I went to HD yesterday and by chance found some leftover Dowflake, now I have enough to last me for another year :dance:

JWarren

Good for you!

I live in Florida, no snow down here to melt. Finding this stuff is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I would like to get my hands on a bag of it.

DrHank

Go to any pool supply store. They all have it. It's Magflake that's a real problem here.

DrHank

Unfortunately, you aren't going to find it locally here in Florida. I'm using epsom salt too.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Heniz

Hello Doc... only one short comment. NOBODY in Germany use TETRA Produkts for Seawater-Aquariums, in freshwater OK, but NEVER, NEVER in Seawater.

Why would that be ? Assays show it is better than Dow. And their food grade is the purest there is. Most of their stuff is processed from Limestone and not the Solvay Process.

And when you say Tetra are you confusing it with Tetra of Germany, an aquairum company, with the Tetra Chemicals of the USA ?

TETRA Technologies, Inc.
Tetra Chemicals

Tetra of Germany
About Tetra

hma

Heniz

Hello Doc... only one short comment. NOBODY in Germany use TETRA Produkts for Seawater-Aquariums, in freshwater OK, but NEVER, NEVER in Seawater.

Why would that be ? Assays show it is better than Dow. And their food grade is the purest there is. Most of their stuff is processed from Limestone and not the Solvay Process.

And when you say Tetra are you confusing it with Tetra of Germany, an aquairum company, with the Tetra Chemicals of the USA ?

TETRA Technologies, Inc.
Tetra Chemicals

Tetra of Germany
About Tetra

Upps .... is already cleared up a misunderstanding. I really thought of Tetra aquarium products .... excused please, this was a big mistake . :scram:

TETRA Aquarium Produkts are :down:

kathywithbirds

SOooooooooooo... I should ask, why use it at all? What's the difference between using dowflake vs. something sold specifically for upping calcium in a SW tank? Is it price alone?

Reefwerks

SOooooooooooo... I should ask, why use it at all? What's the difference between using dowflake vs. something sold specifically for upping calcium in a SW tank? Is it price alone?

Price is a big factor. I just purchased a 55g drum of Tetra food grade for $134delivered. Also alot of people like me would prefer to know what they are dosing.

Don

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Price certainly is for me ! My cal/alk demands are high I would spend about $180+ a year with those 2 part solutions instead with Dowflake/baking soda I'm spending about $ 30 so that's a big difference.

JWarren

OK,

I've been shopping around and found quite a few places that either carry or can carry calcium chloride. Some are pellet form and some are flake form and all are about 1/8' thick or diameter. I found one here called Tetra flake (77% calcium chloride, and also contains, sodium chloride (salt) and Potassium Chloride). The pellets are a higher percentage of calcium chloride but do not list it's other ingredients.

I have not seen the Dow flake, so I don't know what it looks like.

Can someone who has some of the Dow Flake post a photo of it, so I can see what it looks like?

Thanks!

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
What it looks like does no tell you anything. Many manufactures use similar processing. You need to look for a bag that says Dow Flake or know it is Dow Flake relabeled

JWarren

Thanks for posting that Robert! The photo looks a little pink. Dose it have a pink hue or is it really pure white?

Boomer,

I kinda figured on making sure it was actually Dow flake, But I wanted to make sure I knew what it looked like, so no one trys to pull a fast one on me! :)