Is Dowflake still safe?

JWarren

Robert, I kinda thought it was the shadow, causing it to look a little pink.

I found the web site for one of the products I found down here in Florida.

TETRA Flake

If you put this product and Dow flake side by side, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. However, The Tetra is 77% and the Dow Flake Xtra 83-87% flake contains 8-10% more calcium chloride. Surely the Dow Flake leaves less room for inert or those ingredients which would be considered contaminants, compared to the Tetra.

Finding the Dow Flake here in Florida is proving to be quite the challenge. Anyone know of a place that will ship 50 lbs from up north, to Florida or a place here in Florida?

JWarren

Just thought I would update my shopping progress and let you guys and girls know what I have found.

Out of all the products I researched down here in Florida, I was only able to find one that is actually a Dow product. It's not flake though it is a pellet. The product is distributed under Dow's name of PELADOW.

Heres a link to the information sheet.

The product is sold under the label of Regal Calcium increaser. Their web site is regal - Home. I found this product in a pool supply store in Port St. Lucie, but since I have seen it there, I have noticed it in other pool supplies as well. So, It doesn't seem to be that hard to find, at least not where I am located anyway and it's composition actually looks pretty good, with a very low percentage of impurities.

Item Composition Unit
Calcium Chloride, min. 90.0 %
Total Alkali Salts (as NaCl) 3.7 %
Total Magnesium (as MgCl2) 0.03 %
Other Impurities 0.6 %
Calcium Hydroxide 0.07 %
Calcium Carbonate 0.02 %

I have mixed up a gallon solution of this product with 400 grams of the pellets into 1/2 gallon of water until dissolved, then brought the total level of the mix to 1 gallon.

The mixed solution recipe is from RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY recommendations for anhydrous calcium chloride.

CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM

I will be running some tests on this solution over the next couple of days to find out what the total calcium values will be for the total batch as well as the increase value for dosing.

I purchased this retail for $9.99 and is packaged in a 5 lb. tub.

I'll post up some test results as soon as I have them finished.