Is Chuck in danger?

ShellB

Hello Everyone!

First I want to say that I know this is more the salt water area of the forum but I wasn't sure where else I could go. We did some searching on other sites for what Chuck could have but nothing seemed quite right. We were hoping that the amazing minds of RS might be able to help us help Chuck.

We have a 75 gallon fresh water tank that has been established now, in its current location, for two years. The fish that we have have been with us for almost three years. Currently our tank is filled with Ginger (a hot tempered Blood Parrot), Captain Jack (a Green Terror), Chuck (a Jack Dempsey), Al (a Convict) and Mr. Pleco (obvious a Pleco). Chuck has always had some tail fin issues, nothing that affects his swimming or eating habits but more aesthetic issues. It started off as a silver white spot on his tail fin and over about the past year it has grown. What started as a little spot when we bought him is now covering the majority of the left side of his tail fin and a small area on the right side. The area has a sort of "bubble" like appearance and protrudes from the fin. Lately we've noticed that his tail fin has gotten worse. Our main worry right now is one of the "bubbles" looks as if it had popped and started to bleed. I've attached a few pictures that I was able to get, I'm not sure how well you'll be able to distinguish what is in the picture on his fin.

He is one of our more mild mannered fish and always has stuck to the lower back of the tank. He is always one of the last fish to eat but he always picks up the food once it sinks down to his area in the tank. There haven't been any noticeable changes in his behavior or habits. Any help or insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

DSCN2275.jpg

DSCN2271.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2285.jpg

ChrisOaty

I'm clueless about fresh water diseases but my guess is a bacterial infection. You may want to look up the protocol for a proper quarantine and treat him with a mild antibiotic. When I had my koi, I fed garlic with their food every so often as it helps their immune system. Good luck! Consider this a free bump. =] Get well soon Chuck!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
fin damage is missing bits, fin rot is what you have, can grow into rot from damage, meds for gram + and - may be required soon, Id go with 75% water changes for a bit and filter cleaning, melafix or pimafix if you can stand the smells lol, good luck

ShellB

Thanks! I sent Quentin out to get the goods and hopefully Chuck is on the road to recovery soon! :)

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good luck with the Fish. If you can post a picture of the Green Terror. I use to keep them but that was about 20 years ago, always one of my favorite fish both fresh and salt.

Doogle

That doesn't look like your normal fin rot. Make sure you go by the directions, a lot of times you have to do a water change in between doses, also you may want to use a fungus treatment for any secondary infections after your bacteria treatments. Once got a crazy rotting fish disease that one fish out of two almost died from, two weeks of quarantine alone and the fungus treatment worked but the one fish took way longer to treat and he still has scars from it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ya those meds smell like a pine tree gone wrong.

........wet floors add character.

Therapy

Hard to believe but true. Once upon a time....lol.... I had a fish with a similar malady. I plucked him out daily and applied Mercurochrome (sp?) daily with a Q-tip. Worked for me. I was desperate, but it worked. Clean water is ALWAYS helpful. Good luck.

ShellB

Thanks everyone! We're going to be QTing Chuck tomorrow in our little ten gallon tank, that way we won't be running the carbon. We're going to start with doses of Melafix and see if that dose anything. After that we're thinking of doing a fungal treatment as well. Quentin was excited because he LOVES the smell of Melafix...seriously loves the stuff. I think he would have our whole apartment smelling like that if he could.

I'll try to get some more pictures up as we go throughout the process. We're going to be having a whole day dedicated to our tanks tomorrow so both the fresh and salt water tanks will get some deep cleaning and much needed love. Chuck will only be a few feet away from the rest of the gang so hopefully he doesn't get to lonely during his treatment.

Thanks again for all of your help! We really appreciate it all!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
good move! caution on the melafix it should be mixed with water first then added, being an oil its possible to suffocate the fish, if your not seeing improvement quickly like 2 days or it starts getting worse get to the marycyn and marycyn2