Is ceramic tile toxic to fish and corals?

SemperSaint

Just wondering if ceramic tile held in place with silicone would be a cheap way to make dividers and baffels in a fuge.

DrHank

I'd stick with glass. You don't know the chemical constituents of the tile. Although I personally feel that it might be fine, you're really not going to spend much for glass and you know that's safe.

SemperSaint

I guess I was asking because I already have the extra tile and could cut it to size myself. My cost would be zero. I'd have to buy the glass and have it cut.

panmanmatt

I wouldn't think it would be any different than folks using ceramic tiles to mount frags on.

I think the big consideration is what is in the finish on the tiles. What type of glaze was used.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would say no. Ceramic tile and clay flower pots are used to provide a surface for clowns to lay eggs on all the time. Doesn't bother clowns and nems, should be safe

jgking21

You can get glass at Home Depot or Lowes and they will cut it for you. That's where I got mine for my sump/fuge build, less that $10.

jgking21

I think it is 1/8", but I also think they had thicker. It was for a 20 long and seems to be just fine. The water pressure on both sides keeps it pretty stable. What size are you try to build?

jgking21

Well I think it may be worth a trip if it's not to far, the 20 long is 12" wide and my tallest baffle is 8". Good Luck!