Involuntary RBTA split - ouch!

jimeluiz

For a day and a half we could not find one of our RBTAs. We looked in the shadows and deep in the crevaces. Nowhere. :dunno:

As this has happended before (!!) I thought to look in the sump, thinking it might have found its way down there.

Poor thing. It apparently got sucked over the overflow, through two neighboring gaps. Ouch! :eek:h: :help: :eek:h:

I found them (now two) in our filter sock. Good thing we were using the filter sock and they did not get ground up in the skimmer propeller!

So I pulled them free from the sock and put them back in the display tank.

Now 24 hours later they both look fine... a little tore up, but big, bright and fully open. So much for RBTAs being fragile!

lcstorc

That's one way to get a second anemone cheap. :)
Hope they both do well and good save.
:)
Lynn

BoomerD

Yeah, I remember your rose making that trip when you were on vacation a couple of years ago...LOL!! Glad things are ok...MIGHT be time to invest in a bit of gutter guard. Makes a decent screen over your overflows, that doesn't interfere with the flow rates. get a small roll of it at Home Depot or Lowes pretty cheaply.

Witfull

thts not on the recommended ways to frag list~glad everything turned out ok. when i had the lettuce nudi's they were contantly in the sock.

Gina

RS STAFF
Glad to hear that everything is ok! Your post has just reminded me that I need to get a sock for my overflow!

jimeluiz

BoomerD - I've thought about the gutter guard but can't visualize how it would provide true protection/prevention. In order for there not to be a noteable reduction in flow the netting would need to have fairly large gaps (I don't have gutters nor have I been to a Home Depot in years so I don't actually know what 'gutter guards' look like). Ultimately the RBTA is just water under a fine film. Wouldn't it just get sucked through even smaller gaps than the teeth of the overflow? In that case she would be cut into french fries and probably not survive.

This situation has happened twice in three years, so not really a chronic situation (although I have anxiety every time they go on the move.)

Help me visualize/understand the gutter guard solution - addresing the flow question.

Thanks.