Introducing sand into my tank.

Shagon

I had a friend at work bring me back some sand from a beach that he went to on vacation. Its volcanic and very nice. My question is how would I go about adding this to my tank and not doing any damage to my current eco system? Should I put the sand in my hospital tank and let it set for a few weeks? should I not worry about it? ????

mojoreef

Just a reefer
For Volcanic sand I would run a strong magnet through it to make sure it doesnt have any metals in it. From their do a good rinse. To install it into an existing tanks, grab your self a 1 1/2 to 2 inch piece of pvc and then just put the sand in one end and let it go down the tube to the bottom of the tank (this should keep it from going all over the place) If it begins to cloud the tank then stop for a bit and let it settle.

Is their existing sand on the bottom??

MOjo

grab your self a 1 1/2 to 2 inch piece of pvc and then just put the sand in one end and let it go down the tube to the bottom of the tank (this should keep it from going all over the place) If it begins to cloud the tank then stop for a bit and let it settle.

MOjo

AWESOME idea that i will DEF use if i ever needed to Add sand to an existing tank!

Shagon

I have crushed coral in there now. It did have alot of metal in it. I think I got most of it out.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Ok so here is the story.

CC is made up of CC and shells. Shells are loaded with Phosphate, but that phosphate is locked up in the matrix of the shell, so as long as the shell doesnt melt then the P will stay in their.

So on to your story. When you have an existing substraight you need to stage the extra sediment you put on it. Basically if you dump a bunch of sand onto top you will kill the bacteria and whatever life you may have in their because you will starve it for oxygen. So what you want to do is to add about a 1/2 inch over the whole surface and then wait a few days to a week, and then do it again and so on and so forth until you have the depth you desire. Doing it in a staged manner will allow the bacteria to stay oxygenated and populate the new layer, also any life you may have in their can move up and not get starved of oxygen.

Ok downside of your existing bed. Know the above you dont want to melt the CC. So now with you adding sand on top of it your going to make the area where the CC is anaerobic or devoid of oxygen. This will lower the ph in that area and you will get melting and thus release the P that is locked up in the shells.

good luck

Mojo