installing baffles

jks1

I got some 1/4" acrylic that I am going to use to create some baffles in a 75g GLASS tank Im turning into a sump. I'm going to have three compartments- equip/return/fuge. I read a post a while back about acrylic expanding more that glass and cracking tanks. I think the post recommended cutting the acrylic 1/4" less than the length you need and making up the difference with silicone or adhesive.

I have some 2 part epoxy that I was planning on using to glue the baffles in, but am a little worried about expansion. Once the epoxy sets I dont think it will give like silicon so I may be back to the glass cracking problem. I have silicone but was concerned it wouldnt make a good bond between the acrylic and glass. What do you think?

Also I need the water level in the skimmer compartment to be 8" deep. I planned a three panel baffle system to cut down on air bubbles entering the return pump. If I wanted the water height to be 8", just make the baffle that water will flow over 8" tall?? How much space should I leave from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the baffles that will have water flowing underneath them?

Thanks for the help and sorry about the long post...

Gina

RS STAFF
A few thoughts:
  1. If when you build the sump the materials are about the same temp as when the sump is up and running then expansion should not be much of an issue.
  2. I think I would try a lot of silicone to hold the acrylic in place. It may not be the best thing to bond acrylic but then again the acrylic is not going to see high forces.
  3. When I built our sump I went to Home Depot and had them cut me some glass for the baffles. They did a good job and it was fairly cheap.
    [/list=1]

Mark

Pro_builder

John,

Also I need the water level in the skimmer compartment to be 8" deep. I planned a three panel baffle system to cut down on air bubbles entering the return pump. If I wanted the water height to be 8", just make the baffle that water will flow over 8" tall??
Make them about a 1/2" shorter than the water hieght that you want.

How much space should I leave from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the baffles that will have water flowing underneath them?
Leave about 2 " under the bottom edge for water to flow.

I think the post recommended cutting the acrylic 1/4" less than the length you need and making up the difference with silicone or adhesive.
Yes leave them about a 1/4" short total (1/8" each side) then glue them in with Silicone.

jks1

Thanks for the help Gina and Troy, gonna try and tackle this today, Ill let you know how it went..