Input on a PH Meter

mwrager

I need some input . I am looking to add a PH meter to my reef tank soon, So what I need to know is what everyone else is using and the pro and cons of the one you are using. Also what is the best one for around $75 to $100. I am also looking at getting a Stoney Reef Lil' Johnny Calcium Reactor, but I know who I am going to get that from.

danny254

Pinpoint, works well for me. I don't know that there are that many "bad quality" ph monitors, I think most of the technology is the same. Just stick with a big company and you'll be fine.

Danny

captivereefs

Sponsor
Milwaukee actually makes an extremely better PH monitor than Pin Point. You can tell just by the way it feels! Plus the milwaukee model 120 mweter comes with a wall adapter so you don't have to change batteries like a pin point or pay extra for it. Also the milwaukee has a visual high PH LED alarm that goes off at the level you choose to set it at.

danny254

I don't know ....... I do like the way my pinpoint ph monitor feels too. ?????? The alarm sounds cool though, but visual? how hard is it to look at the reading notice its too high or low, rather than seeing a light blinking? The ac adapter might be good for some people. But I thought the idea changing batteries was better for me (one less wire!!) so I didn't mind having an ac adapter. And changing batteries is no big deal anyways, since I don't leave it running constantly.

I have heard good about both though so ....

Danny

Last edited:

captivereefs

Sponsor
The blinking llight catches your eye when you are not concentrating o the tank. Batteries ae i Pain for me as they wear out the meter calibration changes a little. Comes down to personal opinion really.

danny254

"The pH probe should be discarded and replaced when it can no longer be calibrated with 2 different calibration fluids. The usefull life of a pH probe is approximately 18 months of continous duty. Check calibration monthly to verify your pH readings"

That's what it says at marine depot....

hth
Danny

joe@inreef

Sponsor
I like both the pinpoint and the milwaukee... I use the Milwaukee, as I have for years and have had no problem. The only drawback on the Milwaukee, is that they are always out of stock on some items.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
i just bought the pinpoint for $85 from www.aquatictech.com with all the attachments......works good but my lights are not grounded proprely so it throws the r=eading close to the tank.......gotta fix that

B