info on fungias?

kathywithbirds

I am drawn to fungias, which I'm understanding is an LPS? Does it need an established tank? I have read it needs target feeding. After doing the goniopora, that's not a big deal.

rebekwl

I have one and I love it. It does need target feeding and it's so cool how wide it opens up it's mouth to eat. My cleaner shrimp usually goes over and steals it's food though, he's greedy!

kathywithbirds

I couldn't find info on them and wa-la!!! Article in Aquarium hobbyist magazine about them. Turns out a bunch of things are included in "fungiids." There's one at the LFS that's just awesome, this long, kind of loaf-looking thing with orange coloration, really intense color in the middle. They can move about, apparently, "faster" than other corals who move. Still reading on the whole mobility thing.

lcstorc

I had plate coral once that totally freaked me out when it moved. I came home from work one day and it was in a brighter spot. Frank was out of town so it had to be the coral. Then I read about them moving on their own.
Unfortunately it was one of the many corals that the flameback killed. Or at least I think that is what happened. Bad fishie. :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes they have an ability to move so should be placed on a fine sandbed. It doesn't need intense light but should be fed regularly either small pieces of shrimp, scallop squid or other meaty foods. Since it can move be careful with other substrate dwelling corals like Open Brain corals.

kathywithbirds

I am seriously considering one for my first coral purchase... after I make sure the sailfin is perfectly fine and I get my lights!!

Maybe in another month.

lcstorc

I don't think I would get one as a first coral. I would try shrooms or zoas first to get used to the whole coral thing. JMO but that is what I would do.