increase in pH

jamielai

Yesterday I done a 10% wc and today I was checking my parameters and my ph in 8.5-8.6 range. Over the last week the only change has been slowly increasing my salinty from 1.020-1.023. All other test came back fine. Should I do another wc today?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That pH is acceptable. The most important aspect of reef pH is stability. As long as your pH is stable it doesn't matter much if 7.8 or 8.6, relative to stability. What you don't want are large changes in pH such as those that come when trying to alter the pH with buffers, kalk and other pH altering products.

10% water changes will do little to change the pH. You are best to leave it alone and let your tank "naturally" find its pH sweet spot based on your stocking level, maintenance, CO2 saturation etc.

jamielai

Thanks. from reading everything has lead me to believe anything over 8.2ish is high. So, I didn't want to try to do anything to lower it without talking it out with you guys first. I have tested it a few times and came back with the same result.

rmlevasseur

This time of year everyone is opening up their house to fresh air, and that will result in a small but welcome PH boost. I suspect your test kit or methods are just a little innacurate, and you are probably around 8.3, which is great.

jamielai

Good to know. I added a Fromia Star yesterday and was alittle worried that the increase in pH would be a problem for it.