In-display tank heater guard questions

vsiege

I am setting up a new tank and had a two part question regarding heaters for seahorse/in general. Since I have to put a heater in the display tank, I will need a heater guard as they like to grab onto them.

I have a marineland 200 watt heater (Fully submersible, 200W)

1. What heater guards do you use/prefer?

2. Do you prefer two heaters rather than one?

If you have any thoughts on the heater I have, I'd love to hear them too.

You could make your own cover with PVC. I used a marineland 150 for many years never had a problem with it.

Two heaters is definitely better in case one poops out on ya, but you'd want a controller to keep them working in unison. If no controller, have one set a couple degrees lower in as a back-up in case one does quit on you.

vsiege

thanks. I will def. consider having two heaters now. as for the heater guard, I was looking for something that was a bit more aesthetically pleasing, something prebuilt. Has anyone else used a particular brand?

If you really want aesthetic appeal I'd suggest utilizing a sump and have most equipment out of sight. Most heater guards are brand specific and there really isn't a lot to choose from since they aren't commonly used. I checked our sponsors and didn't see any, you may try contacting a few vendors directly and see what they can wrangle up for ya.