Imitation coral

Charlie Cropper

II am painting honeycomb rock to emulate coral. I normally paint with water base acrylics. Do I need to.seal the paint. I usually use a polyurethane spray. Would that be safe for an aquarium?

DaveK

I don't think I'd want to put something painted that way into the tank for several reasons. Fish, snails and other inverts are going to try and feed off the rock. Many have fairly powerful jaws and teeth, and would likely be eating your painted surface. This wouldn't be ideal. Also, in time, it's going to get overgrown with algae and other life, so the paint work will get hidden under that.

The other big reason is that no matter how great your artistic skills are, it's almost certainly going to look fake. Since it's quite possible to keep living corals in the tank, it becomes more a question of why have a copy when you can have the real thing?

StirCrayzy

I remember starting my first SW tank with fake stuff in a Fish only tank a long time ago, and thought it looked cool, until decided Live was best.
I think there is certainly an appeal to having something artistically designed and hand crafted on display, so i wouldnt want to discourage that Charlie.
With that said, stick with MARINE GRADE epoxy for sealing purposes. It will hold up to general tank life, but Daves right that if you do add things like crabs ( or especially urchins) they can pick away and potentially damage almost anything.
Be sure the epoxy is fully cured and the piece thoroughly cleaned before introducing to the tank. This is best done to a new tank during the cycling process, well ahead of adding livestock.
With caution and in low quanity it could be done to an existing setup, but i wouldnt risk it.