I'm Stumped - Water Tests

KMP

I've had a 65g RR tank set up in the garage w/live rock only for about 3 weeks. I test the water periodically and these are the parameters:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
PH - 8.2

They have not changed at all and I've tested 4 times over the last 3 weeks. I did have the skimmer running and shut that off last week. It's not the test kit, I have another tank and it's measuring out fine.

Any ideas on how I can get this cycle completed?

InLimbo87

I would get a second opinion on your test numbers if I were you. Try taking your water to a local lfs and getting them to test your water. What kind of test kit are you using?

KMP

no water change - trying to cycle this puppy. i should be seeing the nitrate rise and the nitrite lower.

regarding the tests, i understand what your saying, but when i test my other tank alls fine and dandy.

InLimbo87

I would still try to get a second opinion on the test results before doing anything else. After that, if your test results are correct, I would proceed with doing a water change and just continuing to wait it out. Also, how warm does your garage get? Is it climate controlled? I don't know much about the effects of extreme heat on the cycle, but I could imagine it wouldn't be good. (Just brainstorming here). Good luck either way :)

goldenmean

Any ideas on how I can get this cycle completed?

Patience.

It has only been 3 weeks.
cycling can take on average 4-6 weeks.
sometimes longer if there has been a lot of die-off.

Pro_builder

Patience, is the key to reef keeping. Do you have any live rock in the tank? Pictures of the tank? Any animals in the tank and temp?

KMP

thanks all - patience is the easy part. this has been a build project for me and i'm waiting on new carpet where it will end up going in the house - i'm not in any rush. that's why it's in the garage :D the garage isn't climate controlled, but our temps haven't gone above 80 yet. and the heater is keeping it within range 75 - 80 range. there is live rock in the tank and no critters.

maybe mr. table shrimp is the next logical choice. thanks mr. blue eyes!

BoomerD

You need some source of ammonia to kick the cycle off...one dinner shrimp is an ideal way to do this...then, sit back and let time (and bacteria) take run its course...

BoomerD

shrimp went in the tank this evening :D

:thumbup: Now get ready for the stink...unfortunately, that's one of the side-effects of having a shrimp rot in your tank...

BTW, how much rock do you have?
Do you have a skimmer on that tank?

KMP

nope, that's what stumped me - my nitrite (n02) has been 5 ppm for 3 weeks. nitrate (no3) has been 20ppm for 3 weeks. nothings changed.

that said, i'll have stinky shrimp tank soon :D

lcstorc

That's the safest way. Be sure you get a nice good cycle going and you will be happy for it down the road.