I'm learning from my ORP monitor

tankgirl

I asked my husband for an ORP monitor for Xmas and the best thing about it is that I'm learning new ways to get the levels up. It's kind of cool because you can see what a difference it makes when you do maintainance stuff.

When I first got it, it was reading around 360, but lately it's up around 400.

I cleaned my sump and got 10 points

I lifted the durso standpipes up for a minute to let the sludge at the bottom of the OF wash thru - another 10 points!

Cleaning the skimmer is always good for 5 points

Cleaning the teeth at the top of the OF - 5 points

Now, I'm looking at the plumbing pipes and wondering how I can clean those out - and how many points I'll get if I can do it. :D

Pro_builder

The more air that you can get into the system the better the Orp should be. But, I could be wrong, thanks for the info on what you have done to raise yours.

tankgirl

Hi Pro, I just use it as a general water quality meter. I don't add ozone or anything at all to affect the reading. I'm not all that clear on how it reflects water quality - my guess is any decaying matter consumes O2.

I get plenty of aeration from the skimmer and return jets, so am not really concerned with O2 levels except as a mirror for water quality and feedback on my maintainance and husbandry.

Hi Johnny! Your tank is looking great!! Mike is darn-near a saint, isn't he? Cheers!

Playa

tg I have been thinking about getting an ozonizer for a while. I installed an UV a month ago. Thanx for the info:)

Scooterman

I'm here for the ride! I'd like to clear up the mud one day on an orp meter but using it as a tool is probably a good reason to get one!

jks1

Tankgirl, thanks for posting. I just got an ORP probe for an aquacontroller I have. Its all going on the new 210g, and i intend to use it as you do for general water quality monitoring. Nice to hear its working for you..

Playa

Jks what else do you have your aquacontroller doing?
How happy are you with it and how long have you had it? sorry for all the questions.

dgasmd

I bought one too in anticipation to adding ozone to my tank. When I first put it in, it was at 280, which freaked me out. Then I learned they take up to 3 days to read the final number. That was 330 in my case. It stays between 310-330.

For all I have read about it, it is nearly impossible to get levels above 350 without using ozone. They are very finicky monitors and must be calibrated often and also cleaned weekly. Most people that use then report very erroneous readings if not cleaned weekly. I've had it for 3-4 weeks now and have not cleaned it yet. It still reads the same for me though.

I am in the market for a ozone unit. Likely 250-500 mg/hr. I plan to run it in my skimmer 24/7

tankgirl

Hi Luis, From what I've read, ozone can be pretty dangerous, so I didn't want to try that. Scares me.

Hi Scott, Yeah, that's why I wanted one, too!

Hi John, Yeah, it's been the best possible tool for feedback and motivation to find the niches and crannies that need cleaning. I'd like to hear about your aquacontroller, too - and how the orp works for you. It did the same thing - took 3 or 4 days to settle down.

Hi Alberto, I wonder if your mention of "nearly impossible to get readings above 350" refers to tanks with sand? Different situation there - using the sand to break down detritus, I can easily imagine that you wouldn't get the kind of readings you'd get with an obsessive tank owner and barebottom. Mine is a Pinpoint, and says it only needs cleaning every 3-4 weeks, I clean it every two weeks. Mike (mojoreef) says he gets around 400 in his tank (also a bb).

Mine was down to 387 this morning, but it's been almost a week since last water change.

BTW, calibrating these things is really a pain; you gotta go back and forth between different solutions - over and over until the monitor reads perfectly for both solutions. yeesh.

tankgirl

Forgot to mention; yeah, you have to wait a few hours (or overnight) to see what a difference things make on the levels. But, I can watch it go down after feeding the fish or corals. Interesting.

Also, I think ozone is just a turbo-charged way to add oxygen, right? I wonder if an airstone wouldn't be easier.

I have an oxygen test kit, think I'll use it and see what the levels are.

Last edited:

Witfull

actually ozone =O3 is an unstable ion, and the extra molocule is actively looking for something to attach to and oxodize, be waste or tissue. it can be great or hazardous.

tankgirl

Hi Wit, Thanks, Yeah that makes sense - the O ion has to be way more eager to oxidize than plain old O2.

Hi Nikki, Thanks, I've read those articles. I like the Eric Edelman article, especially.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Here is a simple way to look at orp. Thier is a constant battle in your tanks. the battle is between Oxidizers and reducers. If weither side wins the tank dies, lol what we want from our tanks is a constant even battle neither side winning.
the oxidizers are basically oxygen molecules created from the air or from critters performing photosynthisis. thier big guns in this side are stuff like ozone, peroxide and so on. that why we need to watch their input, to much and they may win
on the other side of the fence are the reducers. most of them fall into the organic forms. you will most ofthese in place that dont have alot of oxygen (DSBS??) and so on.

anyway thier the shoort version

Mike

dgasmd

TG:

I am not sure as to the people reporting those number having BB vs DSB. It is not my experience, so I am just telling you what I have read. I am glad to see your numbers are so much higher. Can't wait enough to get rid of this freaking DSB:mad: :mad:

I just bought an ozonizer today. I got a great deal on a used unit, so we'll see what happens. I will likely not even set it up until I move and get the tank redone.

Alberto

Brucey

Hi TG .... Sorry I've picked up on this thread rather late on, been busy all weekend and haven't been on the Net.

I have a Redsea Ozonizer that doses Ozone measured against a Redox value. I've got mine set at 370-390 which seems a safe sort of value. Never ever push your redox too high, value's above 450 can be dangerous and values between 500 and 600 can be deadly to the fish, almost creating sterile water conditions. Yes, you are correct, Ozone can be dangerous but only if used in an uncontrolled fashion. I've heard of people dosing Ozone 24x7 which would scare me to death .... but so long as you use a controller and probe it is fine. I also run mine through a carbon filter before entering the system again, just to make sure nothing returns to the main tank. yes it is interesting watching your redox reading's vary during the day, and it goes pretty much in line with your PH readings too ...... aligned with the oxygenization of the algae's within the system.

Brucey

tankgirl

Hi Mike! So, I'm trying to remember my chem, here; oxidizers are things like O ions that want to glom onto a positive-charged molecule (ion). So what would reducers be? Maybe something that donates a lot of protons? :confused:

Hi Alberto, That's exciting! I can't wait to see the tank with all the cool changes. Hope you'll post a thread about it?

Hi Brucey, How long have you been running ozone? The brochure for my orp monitor says "well-maintained saltwater systems should be in the 350-450 range" and "readings in the 500 mv range should be examined closely". Sheesh, it's confusing when different sources say different things.

In any event, I don't think I want to run ozone (although I'm very interested in everyone's results).

I spend a fortune on salt - half a bag every water change, so I wanted the orp monitor for feedback, so I'll only have to do a water change when the tank needs it?

Brucey

TG ..... Ever since day 1 mate. When I budget'd my tank, I had a few hundred £££ left over and didn't know what to go for. Had I known then what I know now I would have invested in auto top ups and Kalk doses at the time which came 6 months too late for a few of my fish friends I'm afraid .... I ran a thread on RAG over a year ago now and Boomer gave me loads of good advice that you might want to read as it applies to REDOX too
Brucey

http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26742