"Ideal" reef tank temperature

JT101

I know this is a loaded question but what is the most commonly-run tank temperature? I've been running mine at between 82F-84F for over a year. I have heard that typical coral reefs actually are warmer than most people are willing to keep their tanks (I've seen people talk about ranges as low as 77F to 80F). Are there any advantages to soft corals (i.e., palythoas, zoas, leathers, open brains, ricordias etc.) at one temperature than another?

Thanks
John

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Johm alot depends on the region that your fish & corals come from 78-81 in a very common range

lcstorc

Seahorses need a cool tank. 72-74.
The reef though is 81 or 82. It really depends on what you are keeping.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I know this is a loaded question but what is the most commonly-run tank temperature? I've been running mine at between 82F-84F for over a year. I have heard that typical coral reefs actually are warmer than most people are willing to keep their tanks (I've seen people talk about ranges as low as 77F to 80F). Are there any advantages to soft corals (i.e., palythoas, zoas, leathers, open brains, ricordias etc.) at one temperature than another?

Thanks
John

Common temp is around 80.

Advantages of a warmer/cooler reef? Not really sure. Keep in mind that warmer water usually holds less disolved oxygen and speeds up metabolisms of the inhabitants.

I keep my reef at 77-79 in the winter and 79-81 in the summer. The average temp of my reef is 79.

kathywithbirds

Mine just seems happier at like 80 to 82. Had it down for a while to like 77-78 and thigns just weren't... I don't know... popping? energetic? something like that. It was noticeable.