ID please

Hi all, I have this growing on one of my rocks and has got quite big over the last few weeks. Can any id it for me please?
7e3esuru.jpg

Surfnut

That doesn't look like aiptasia to me. Truth be told it looks like a common run of the mill Polyp: The ugly brown ones that invariably end up in most aquariums at some point in time or another.

Oxylebius

I don't think it is aiptasia either. Aiptasia has a little white line across the middle of the oral disk.

Not sure what it is. My first thought was a brown polyp also.

Another anemone ID page

Mike Johnson

The coral in question is called Protopalythoa grandis.

A little side note is that the toxin in these corals can be fatal. Hawaiian natives used to coat their spear tips in it. There is a Caribbean version called Giant Caribbean Sun Polyp. They are solitary polyps.

Wow what a great reply, are they or can they harm the inhabitants in the tank and how big will it end up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vsiege

That doesn't look like aiptasia to me. Truth be told it looks like a common run of the mill Polyp: The ugly brown ones that invariably end up in most aquariums at some point in time or another.

I would get rid of this one.... The sting from them sucks (if this is on the larger side). I forget the name(zoo...) But have seen them at work. Imo you don't need or want it

37 gallon, LEDs, fish and coral

foxsavage

Definitely protopaly, I have the exact same thing in my tank. They spread quickly and are difficult to remove if you let the colony get big. If it were me I would pull the rock and chip it out with a hammer and screwdriver while it's small. I wish I had done that with the huge colony of them I have now. Wear gloves and glasses if you do, if it squirts your eye it could kill you.