ID PLEASE.. Pink Algae and a Red THING..?!

jono

Hi could anyone ID these please ive got a pink algae looking growth on the glass of my tank... googled it and it says it could be a coraline of some sort and the red thing.... aint a clue, any help would be appreciated and wether i should get rid asap or if its a keeper.

Thanks Jono

IMG_0080edit.jpg

IMG_0079edit.jpg

IMG_0078edit.jpg

IMG_0077edit.jpg

IMG_0076edit.jpg

twoclowns

it looks like red slime increase water flow and that should help clear it up, along with removing nutrients present in the water, run a carbon and phosphate remove could help.

The red stuff is Cyano. I'm not sure about the pink stuff, it maybe a type of bacteria or fungus.

You can suck the Red Cyano out with a turkey baster.

bshady

some of it looks like red slime (cyano) try and remove as much as you can. should blow off easily

jono

it looks like red slime increase water flow and that should help clear it up, along with removing nutrients present in the water, run a carbon and phosphate remove could help.

to be fair theres a very strong flow in it now.... it looks like its gonna be kinda funky but if its a bad things its got to go...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Jono, frequently cyano will grow on top of other algae, smother it and feed off the new food source, you look to have a fair bit of HA on your rock, the cyano is a warning to get this cleaned up as something is out of control nutrient wise, Id really recommend getting a turkey baster and blasting all your rock every day and maybe use a canister filter with some poly in it to catch the debris, be sure to wash out the poly really good before the next day, and the usual torturous water changes need be done. I had huge success with Purigen bags changed out every 3 days, pulls nitrate down quick.

unifi

When I was first starting out, I had a few run ins with cyano bacteria. Chemiclean will help knock it out for you (and is totally reef safe). With that said, it is best to fight it at the source. Feed less, reduce the lighting cycle, and increase your water changes. Like sasquach said, purigen bags work great for rapidly reducing nitrates...you can also use a bag of phos-zorb to remove phosphates pretty rapidly as well.

Cyano sucks, but it's not the end of the world...