ID Needed

F355GTB

Hi all,
Can someone please tell me what this is (the black & white worm). From reading I believe it is a tiny medusa worm, but I'm not sure. It can extend itself for about 1.5 inches and when it reaches to where it needs to be, a tiny star like mouth opens up and rasps the LR looking for food I presume. There are about 6 or 7 of these that occupy the larger pores in the LR. I apologize for the horrible picture. The macro mode on my camera is garbage. Thanks for all of your help!

John

Last edited by a moderator:

F355GTB

Thanks for the link. It seems to have characteristics of a medusa worm, but a lot smaller. It definitely has the retractable oral tentacles. It resides on a piece of LR at the bottom of the tank in moderate current. It comes out of the same pore all the time during the day or night. It never leaves the LR or comes out fully. Hope this helps!

John

mwrager

My first thought it maybe a peanut worm, but everything that i have read about them is they only come out after the lights go out.

F355GTB

Thank you for the link Curtswearing. I am still not 100% sure, but it fits the profile (not really the color pattern, though) of a medusa worm.

NaCl-H2O

Hey Ferrari,
I have some of these in my tank. Well actually I have a lot.
I can't help with the ID , but just to say I have them also.
They don't seam to hurt anything, and just eat junk off the rocks.
I've looked in the past and have come up with much more then you. If you do find it let me know I curious again now .

Thanks,
Chris

F355GTB

Chris,
Mine don't seem to hurt anything either. They just do thier own thing. Do they get much bigger than 1.5"? I will search for and post any info I find here. Thanks!

John

NaCl-H2O

The one "big"one I have can streach every bit of 3-4 inches maybe more. I see it only at night but the little ones I see when the lights are on. Always hidden in the shadows though.

See Gumbys post on the front page "Live one here" Teri posted a link to some pages with pic.

jks1

Great link F355GTB, i have these also, although mineextend 3-4inches. Dont seem to harm anything, glad to have them ID though