ICP Tests

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Who does them and which company do you like?

After watching $1200 worth of sps STN I’m looking for a problem outside of parameter swings and I’m leaning this way.

Thanks!!

DaveK

I have never felt the need to use ICP tests, but I can see why you want to do this. You can get such tests from places like BRS or even from Amazon. A search will turn up several options for the testing. Most of the test involve taking some water samples and sending them in to the companu. The cost is about $50.

Since I have never used any of them, I can't recommend one over the other. Because this topic did peak my interest I did a search on "best icp test". Giving the results the "5 minute, all inclusive, in depth analysis" it seemed most people thought the test they used was the best.

I wonder if it would also be a good idea to test some newly mixed SW and the water your using to mix you SW. I could see where such testing would give you a base line, and show if the issue was from the new SW itself, or something in your SW system.

I'll also say the STN could be caused by something other than the water parameters. This could also be a bacteria or other infection killing the coral.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah Dave, I’m going to take a sample from my freshly mixed bun and the tank to see if there is anything I can pull from that.

I’m not expecting to find anything much but I started the tank with dead rock and about 80# of it was rock I got years back, acid bathed and stored. Part of me wants to make sure nothing dumb is happening there.

On the other side if it, starting a tank with dead rock brings a host of challenges with it as I am 5 months into this and still don’t feel like the parameters are always stable and this is likely my stn issue.

More to come

Nobbygas

I test with Triton about every six months or so. On the same day that I take the sample to send to them I also run my normal tests. This helps give me a comparison of my local tests against results against the professional test results. In this way I can gauge as to how accurate my local testing is. Each ICP test costs about 35 Euro in Europe. In the overall scheme of things that is a tiny price to pay.