Ick??????

jonas

I bought a pink tail trigger about a month ago,and he got ick.so i put him in Q.t. for three weeks with copper and low salinaty.he looked fine so i put him back in my tank.the recomended time for treatment was 14 days i went a week longer just to be shure.so after being back in the reef for two days he has it again.so does that meen it wasnt all dead or could somthing be streesing him out in the reef and thats why he keeps getting it.I think i am gonna ask the lfs to take him back. what do you guys think.i know you guys will have the best answer for me.it just sucks cause i really like the big dummy!!!:banghead: :tears:

rdz1

if he had ick you have to treat all the fish until the cycle of ick end and have no host to attach too. That means treating the whole tank.

lcstorc

As long as there are fish in the tank the parasite has live hosts and is still in your tank. Treating one fish is a temporary measure at best. You need to remove all your fish and put them in a QT. Treat them either with copper or hyposalinity not both. Copper is prefered but you have to carefully monitor it. Follow the Stickey in the disease forum for detailed instructions. The fish need to stay in qt a full 8 weeks. The treatment may be shorter buy it takes the 8 weeks for the parasite in the tank to go through it's life cycle and die. If any fish are in the tank it still has a host to live in.
Once you have done this be sure to QT all fish and corals before putting them in the tank or you may re-introduce the parasite. Ick can be in your tank for months or even years without you seeing it on a fish. They are carriers and once you introduce a sick or stressed or malnurished fish into the system then it will become noticable and eventually kill the fish.
There is a lot more info in the stickeys in the disease forum.

jonas

i read all that stuff. but there is no way to get all my fish out of the tank with out taking out every thing in the tank.then my tank will probly crash from doing so.im using a all natraul treatment called kordon.does that stuff work?