#$!@#! ich!!!

Snelly40

hey guys, so my PBT has started showing some spots. I have never had ich in my tank, and i am wondering two things...

1) what should i do ?

2) did i get sold the fish with ich, it seems too soon to me for a fish to get it and start showing white dots ?

michael_cb_125

If you have never seen it in your tank, then you probably bought a fish with ich. I never had to deal with ich on my PBT. But when I got it in my 240, I had no QT, I just fed well and added vitamins to the food. Everybody lost the visible signs of it, and have not had any breakouts since. Now that you have seen it, you know that your whole tank has it. You can either setup a QT and put all the fish in it like Woodstock did, or you can deal with it in the tank. By deal with it I mean you can try the medications intended for ich, or you can do what I did. Feed well, and rely on the fish's immune system.
Good Luck
~Michael

evallarta1

Im also fighting off some ich in my tank. My Lemon BF is showing signs of ich but no one else. I decided to buy a BPT and because of them being prone to ich I talked to my LFS about a "just in case" and he said if I had an outbreak soak their food in Metronidazole and Aminomega. Ive been doing this and it seems to be working. The only thing is your fish have to be eating otherwise it wont help. I had to go this route because I dont have a QT, I know I know....

Snelly40

ok, well i admit that many many many people on this site know a whole hell of alot more than i do, i also think it is ok to say that i know a lot more than some people on here and others in the hobby.

I have never had to deal with ich so i am definately seeking advice.

Witty: I did not QT the fish, i know i need to get a qt set up but i dont have one, i know i know i need to be doing this and now i am seeing why

Evallerta: thank you for the ideas, what is Metronidazole and Aminomega, i will check my LFS for it

thanks guys

mps9506

Have you checked Woodstock's thread when she was dealing with ick? Just QT'ing the PBT won't do much for you. You will need to qt all the fish and leave your display tank fallow to allow the ich a chance to go through it's lifecycle and die hostless. It's a pita but allows you a chance to have a totally ich free tank and PBT (and ime like witty's they are ich magnets).
your other choice if the PBT is healthy is to allow the parasite to go it's course. Your fish will probably show outbreaks every few months and it will go away on the healthy fish, but you are always running the risk of getting a bad infestation.

Snelly40

i know, and i hate that risk. Unfortunately i just dont have the ability to set up a qt / hospital tank.
Would i need a dif tank for the diff types of fish to medicate them?

Snelly40

by the way, michael ur pm box is full, but aside from this fish from lucky fin, which was showing no signs of ich at the store, i think the stress of moving made it show up, the corals and fish are very nice and they are the best prices i have ever seen

lcstorc

Many fish have the parasite without showing visible signs. You are correct that stressed fish are more likely to show visible symptoms.

mps9506

Would i need a dif tank for the diff types of fish to medicate them?

They can all be placed in the same hospital tank provided it is large enough to handle the fish for several weeks. Makes it easier to do water changes and medicate.

ds69

You can always try a cleaner shrimp as well. The ich will still be in your tank but the shrimp will keep it off the fish. My clown had it off and on for a week so i added a cleaner shrimp and haven't seen ich on him since.

phillsy4

Ich is a night mare i recently had to empty my tank for 6 weeks to get rid of my ich problem. If the spots are just on the one fish you could try pulling him out and treating him in a qt for a few weeks then put him back in your main tank and hope that you caught it quick and your other fish do not have it,best case scenario but unlikely. Treating for ich in your main tank is a waste of time the reef safe treatments really don't work. Wood stock is very knowledgeable in this subject and helped me out alot when I wen't threw it.Good luck and keep us posted

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
What do you have in your tank besides fish? If you have no invertebrates you can do a hyposalinity treatment in your display tank.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
anemones, cleaner shrimp and a pistol shrimp who is paired with my goby

That definitely rules out in tank hyposalinity treatment. No anemones except hyposalinity that I know of. A Gobi usually does not like hyposalinity treatment either. However, most Gobi's seem pretty close to immune to Ich. Even with that I would still treat both the fish with copper in a quarantine tank. The Gobi and the shrimp would have to learn to do without one another for preferably 8 weeks.