Ich treatment

dennyamy

Have any of you used the product from Kordon called Ich Attack 100 Organic . I have a 180 gal. reef tank and have some fish showing signs of ich. I have raised the water temp. and I am lowering the salinty.

Jeremy0322

Someone correct me if I am wrong but i would be willing to say that 99% of ich treatments will crush a reef tank, its not good for corals and inverts and stuff like that. I am sure someone will agree with this, but your best bet is to remove the fish, every single one of them whether showing signs or not, and leave the tank empty for around 6-8 weeks. That is the life cycle of the ich parasite and in order to get back on the right foot you want it gone from the DT. Even if fish are showing signs or not they could still be carrying it. This is just what I can recall from other posts on RS, i have never had the ich problem on my tank, THANK GOD, KNOCKING ON SERIOUS WOOD!!

astiesi

I believe most Ich remedies use copper to kill the parasite, which is highly toxic for many reef inhabitants, especially inverts. Whatever you do do not use a copper based medication directly into the DT.

Fortunately for me I have yet to have to deal with ich in my reef tank so I do not know what works and what doesn't. I've heard people claim just increasing the temp to 82 - 83 has cured mild cases without having to remove the fish. I'm sure someone with a bit more experience will comment on this soon.

dennyamy

Anthony I think you are correct about the copper! My local fish expert has a product that takes 14 days and does not use copper. She used it in her display tank without removing anything. So sorry jeremy I don't agree that you need to shut down your whole tank. Sorry.