Ich problem:/

luisr89

So today I go to work and feed my fish before I leave. I come home and 2 of my tangs have ich. One is a power blue which has the most, the other is a yellow tang has a few spots. One of my clowns has like 3 spots total. The only thing I can think that's causing this would be my nitrates. They have been giving me some trouble. I don't want to put my fish in QT tank because I will be going out of town in two days and to much for my mother who's is going to watch my tank to handle lol.. what would be the best way to handle this? Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Tank info
Temp.79,ph8.3, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20-40 :/ , about 55 pounds LR it's a red sea 250

In my experience, clowns can be pretty tough when it comes to desease, and as long as you keep them fed and healthy, they should fight it off most of the time. For the tangs, give them lots of veggies to boost their imune system. Spirulina with brine shimp is good, or algae sheets, and i would also get some garlic guard if you can. And also from what im aware, you can crank up your temp a little higher as well, about 83 and that sometimes kills the ick. But its hard since you will be leaving. Hopefully others will chime in.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
+1 to Steve's comment......that's the way to handle it.

Given your situation, your PBT will most likley need action or he would succomb to ich....possibly the yellow too. I have "heard" that clowns can hold on but it is a chance.

Any option of having somone else QT them? A friend in the area? Not too hard if using cupramine......i have my PBT in cupramine now and the wife is caring for it while I travel.

Good luck

I dont have a qt never had one i just usally let it run it's corse and they usally for me never die but I use kick ich and it helps people say it dosent but I think other wise and for the trates i would do several wc before you go the lower they are the less stress they will have.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
+2 to Steve's advice. We've all been their at one point or another and it stinks.

Good luck...

luisr89

Thanx for the help guys. I woke up this morning it the spots are not as bad. Hopefully they stay away lol. Thanx again

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ich is kinda like herpes. Just cause the sore healed doesn't mean she's good to kiss.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

DaveK

Ich is kinda like herpes. Just cause the sore healed doesn't mean she's good to kiss.

Well said.

We have covered ick outbreaks so many times that by now every regular member should know exactly what needs to be done.

As for cures other than hyposalinity and copper, the other "cures" just don't work. You can be sure that if there really was a way to cure the disease with out all the work involved in getting all the fish out and using a quarantine tank, everyone would be using it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well said.

We have covered ick outbreaks so many times that by now every regular member should know exactly what needs to be done.

As for cures other than hyposalinity and copper, the other "cures" just don't work. You can be sure that if there really was a way to cure the disease with out all the work involved in getting all the fish out and using a quarantine tank, everyone would be using it.

We just have the new members to introdude it to. Mods. Any idea on front page stickies for ich n Nems?

steved13

PREMIUM
We just have the new members to introdude it to. Mods. Any idea on front page stickies for ich n Nems?

All the links I posted, are stickies in the diseases and treatments forum.

steved13

PREMIUM
Most threads about things like this have links just like those, posted by someone who's been around for a while.

The problem is someone else (sometimes another member who's been around a while) offers up a short cut, and it's far more appealing, so the proper advice get's ignored. It's life in a forum.

No offense to anyone, there are many ways to do things, and many times they all can work. Sometimes though, you just have to say to yourself, like DaveK posted so eloquently...
You can be sure that if there really was a way to cure the disease with out all the work involved in getting all the fish out and using a quarantine tank, everyone would be using it.