ich advice please

sw_addicted

please help need advice on what causes ich in fw tanks. My brother has had the same fish in a 55gal tank for 8+ years, and has recently upgraded to a 135 in the past 4 months. His new tank gets ich every 2 weeks or so this is about all I can tell you. He does a 25% water change weekly with tap water as hes always done, runs carbon 24/7 in 2 big aquaclear (hob) waterfall type filters and a large canister filter also an undergravel with 1 powrerhead, lighting is standard, heat is provided by 3 300 watt heaters(bit of overkill but thats what he does). Fish include 1 10" black shark, the biggest blood parrot I've ever seen , 2 large plecos, three small rams and 2 mut chiclids. No fish are being added to the tank water paramaters are normal from what I remember normal is in fw. I fear if he looses anymore fish he will loose any interest in fish tanks after setting up his first tank 23 years ago. please any advice helpful

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi Addicted! Ich is caused by many things, stress, diet, lack of prevention etc, the time period for breakouts sounds about right. Here is a link explaining the life cycle, causes and cures, with 23 yrs of experience maybe your brother has forgotten the basics, have him read this Ich in Freshwater Fish: Treatment and Prevention and let us know what happens. Steve

PEMfish

Ichthyophthirius is caused by immune depletion. When the temp falls more than two degrees in an hour the slime cote is damaged. When the fish is malnutritiond - could be stress causing it not to eat. Poor WQ doesn't help. Any fish introduced into the tank, any plant, well water. Hitchhikers that you don't even know are there can harbor it for awhile. i use this; Wardley Ick out sensitive. It is safe for almost anything and gental enough to use constantly s a prevention.